Help: My Laurel Oak Stump Lives. But...

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I dug this tree up out of my yard in January. Over the last couple of days, I noticed some buds breaking through. But not ideally where I would've liked. The buds are all the way down at the base.

Any ideas how to encourage growth further up? Should I rub these buds off? I did a scratch test when I first noticed further up the trunk. It's still green 3/4's up. I'm watering the bark to keep it moist thinking this will make it easier for the buds to break through. I noticed the buds broke where the bark is wetter thinking this is why they poked through where they did.

Any thoughts?0204171343.jpg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't do anything to it, just let it grow. Since it was just collected it is very weak. There is nothing you can do to encourage buds to pop as specific spots. Right now you want to ensure it survives collection.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You should probably let the buds pop to reinvigorate the tree, then start with branch selection once you have some to work with. You'll probably want low branches anyway for better movement, but maybe not that low... Maybe stop watering the bark, that probably isn't doing much and could cause problems. Also, maybe seal the wound to stop any die back. Sorry for all of the maybes and probablys...

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
Is there a nice way to tell you that this is useless log for bonsai. Straight reverse tapered log, a text book example of what not to dig out for bonsai. Maybe you'll hate me now but you'll thank me in couple of months for saving your time.
Sorry to break it up for you...... unless you are great wood sculptor artist.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There you go "unless you are a great wood sculpture artist"! You got this in a bag. Let it grow for awhile to recover while you plan it out. Like they told me "waste some time"

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm pretty nifty with a grinder. Furthermore, I'm blessed with not having a defeatist attitude. The tree will guide me over the years. I was hoping for a way to encourage growth further up the trunk. Not to be discouraged by my choice of digging up a tree that was of no use in my yard.

I'll let the buds continue to grow and reinvigorate the roots.

The reasoning for watering the bark, is the base of the trunk is moist (for obvious reasons) and this is where the growth was at. I've read with bald cypress, to encourage budding, is to moisten the bark. I figured the same would apply here.

These are just the first two buds that have broke. Being the optimist that I am, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep the tree as healthy as I can.

I tried to research the net for when to transplant oaks and most of the info was contradictory. I'm just happy the tree has survived thus far. It has a 4" base and very well developed bark. Two very great attributes. Any reverse taper can be dealt with in the future. Tree needed carved anyways.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I tried to research the net for when to transplant oaks and most of the info was contradictory. I'm just happy the tree has survived thus far. It has a 4" base and very well developed bark. Two very great attributes. Any reverse taper can be dealt with in the future. Tree needed carved anyways.

Miles vary pertaining to climate and tree health but it appears your timing was correct. Also, do not give up on it budding higher up - let it go a minimum of a year. I am saying this for a multitude of reasons based on personal experience... I have chopped, pulled, potted several plants over the years at "proper" and "improper" times. So far I see that it can take 2 full years to see any active growth and recovery - so they do not read as we do... ;)

Grimmy

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
As for reverse taper, that's just the angle of the camera. Trunk is actually fairly straight.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As for reverse taper, that's just the angle of the camera. Trunk is actually fairly straight.

I am pretty certain the only thing you must do for 2 - 3 years is make sure it get proper water and sun... After that creative and time consuming hours will be your guide.

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haole,
Don't know about your species, climate or, experience, seems like you'd have more luck getting buds
closer to the chop if your your cut was cleaner (less damage) and you seal the wound (as cbroad mentioned)

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Haole,
Don't know about your species, climate or, experience, seems like you'd have more luck getting buds
closer to the chop if your your cut was cleaner (less damage) and you seal the wound (as cbroad mentioned)
Probably a little late on the sealer. Plus I've read no use for it on Oaks. That could be bad info I suppose. I also could've done a better job at the chop (agreed). It's at an angle and has a little tear. Truth be said, I was worried about cutting it again after the trauma I'd already put it through. I cut it higher to allow for die back. There really wasn't much consistent info on the web. I've never dug an Oak and have it live. I tried as a kid and it never worked. So I was apprehensive about doing much more to it. Along with that and not sure how much it would die back, I left it as is.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Update a month later. I did get a bud to break at the top. Looks like I might have aphids. I'll take care of them tomorrow. It's really taking off. 0303172202.jpg

Top Bottom