Help! My Satsuki Azalea Bonsai began wilting

Reaction score
I got my tree about a month ago and it has seemed to be doing really good. I water and mist it daily. I use about 1/3 cup of filtered water but some water goes through the bottom of the pot. When I received it, there were some green balls in the soil. It currently has buds and I have clipped off damaged or dead leaves, but its had new growth since I have had it. I fertilize it once a week with a miracle grow for acid loving plants. I keep it inside because where I live it is very dry and hot, up to 105 F. I keep my plant on a counter next to a window that gets both shaded and direct sunlight every day and my house is about 78 F inside.

Im really sad that my plant isn't doing well and Im really concerned. This is my first time having a bonsai tree and I thought I was doing a great job and I thought I was following directions I found on multiple sites but Im not sure what is happening. I even collected rainwater to give to it.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know and thank you so much.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.JPG
    IMG_1479.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1480.JPG
    IMG_1480.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 101

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Stop furting for the moment, may be retaining to salts for the soil and has slow release anyway. Can't it go outside in non direct light? Don't think you can keep azaleas inside mate. Looks very unhappy :(

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Put it outdoors.
Azaleas are not houseplants.
Give it a spot with some morning sun and then shade all day, they like shade....but don't like kitchens.
Also, you may be over-watering, especially with a highly moisture retentive substrate like that....
Azaleas like to stay "moist, but not wet."

So I'd start there....outside, shady spot, forget the misting, regulate the watering....

Good luck with it!

Also, it's helpful to fill in your profile with your location, so people can give you better advise based on your climate zone.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Like wing it said- outside not inside, no misting, water heavy until water runs out the bottom, wait then do it again. Check it the following day to see if it has used up the water or not... that is how you properly water a tree to flush out old stagnant air and dangerous bacteria that form in that type of environment...

Truth, this tree is probably a goner. Azaleas are kind of wimpy compared to Maples and hardy deciduous trees that frequently can get stressed, lose their leaves and bounce back. Typically when an azalea gets all crispy like this they stay that way... sorry.

Bright side- you have an empty pot to work with!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This azalea is more than likely very close to death. It will be dead shortly (and if it hasn't pushed any new growth since that initial spurt--it's a goner) if you continue with your current siting and watering practices. The dried out foliage indicate that you probably watered it to near- death. Too much water constantly on the roots rots them, and prevents them from pushing moisture up to the leaves. Dead roots form too much water produce the same results in top foliage as dried out roots. In both cases, the root system dies and shuts down. Misting adds to the problems and does nothing for the plant.

Azaleas are outdoor plants. Inside is far too dim and dry for them. Watering on a schedule is a big cause of death of first-time bonsai. You water bonsai when they need it, not necessarily at your convenience.

Your outdoor temperatures and conditions don't make this plant a houseplant. It need what it needs. If you're in tropical area, think about using plants that can stand up to your outdoor climate. THERE ARE NO "INDOOR BONSAI." THERE ARE ONLY TREES THAT CAN TOLERATE BEING INSIDE. Satsuki azaleas aren't one of those species, neither are maples, pines, junipers, or any temperate zone plant.

Reaction score
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply! I have moved the tree outside and I hope its not too hot for it. I live in Southern California in a desert climate and it is very hot and dry outside. I put it in a spot that gets a few hours of sunlight but mostly shaded. I kept watering every day because the top soil always looks dry, even a couple hours after I water and it goes to the bottom. Im afraid my plant is done but I will do all I can to revive it! Please let me know if anyone has any additional tips!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to reply! I have moved the tree outside and I hope its not too hot for it. I live in Southern California in a desert climate and it is very hot and dry outside. I put it in a spot that gets a few hours of sunlight but mostly shaded. I kept watering every day because the top soil always looks dry, even a couple hours after I water and it goes to the bottom. Im afraid my plant is done but I will do all I can to revive it! Please let me know if anyone has any additional tips!
Put it in full, dappled shade- as in under a larger tree, shade for now and keep the soil moist but not sodden. If there's any life left in your tree, in a week or two, you'll see new buds begin to swell where the dead leaves are... but don't hold your breath.

Reaction score
Thank you so much! Do you think I should clip any dead or dying leaves or should I just let them come off naturally? Thank you so much

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. Ive moved it under a tree and I am praying and sending good vibes! I will come back with an update in a week or so. I appreciate everyone taking time to help me

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
May be too dry. 1/3 cup of water doesn't seem like enough. I would definitely keep it outside and flood the tree and soil with water for a whole minute or submerge the pot in water up to the soil line.

Top Bottom