Help my tree is rotting?

Reaction score
Hi guys I REALLLY NEED YOUR HELP!! I generally have a great green thumb ESPECIALLY WITH INDOOR PLANTS! This little guy was given to me by my brother on Mother’s Day strictly because of its peculiar shape lol however it’s been very easy to care for and was doing great! I only water when I put my finger in and feel the soil is dry a good inch or so down, it’s been inside at a steady 72 degrees until the last two weeks, I went away for ten days and my son left it on top of our 7 foot tower shelf with no water no sun ect then freaked out watered it like crazy then left it outside in 90 days and 75 degree nights I come home yesterday and the leaves are wilting and one of the trunks are all squishy alllll the way up to where it meets the other, the second trunk feels pretty stable - I know I could very easily replace but because it’s the only plant my brother has ever given me ID LOVE TO SAVE IT IF POSSIBLE…. Any suggestions- pics added 1 is how squishy 2 is the root of the squishy one that broke right off 😔

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 55

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most of us have experienced friends or family not really following instructions when baby sitting bonsai, often with similar or worse results. Only bonsai people know how to look after bonsai properly.

If there is a solid root it may still be OK. Ficus are really tough. Cut off any soft, or decaying parts right up to solid healthy wood then repot into fresh potting soil to get rid of the problem. Summer is a great time to do this sort of thing with ficus. It may help to use a plastic bag or similar as a humidity dome as the tree will have very few roots almost a cutting. Clean and wash the pot too. You want everything as clean as possible to give this the best chance to recover.
It will obviously not look the same if it does survive but you may still be able to do something with it afterwards.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Most of us have experienced friends or family not really following instructions when baby sitting bonsai, often with similar or worse results. Only bonsai people know how to look after bonsai properly.
I know, and yet we are going on vacation, leaving my son to water my trees....🤞

Reaction score

If there is a solid root it may still be OK. Ficus are really tough. Cut off any soft, or decaying parts right up to solid healthy wood then repot into fresh potting soil to get rid of the problem. Summer is a great time to do this sort of thing with ficus. It may help to use a plastic bag or similar as a humidity dome as the tree will have very few roots almost a cutting. Clean and wash the pot too. You want everything as clean as possible to give this the best chance to recover.
It will obviously not look the same if it does survive but you may still be able to do something with it afterwards.
Ty so much, that’s what I figured , cut away the dead and repot, I’ve just never experienced this with such a young plant, so I wasn’t sure …. You mentioned the plastic bag, as like a greenhouse effect? I’ve never done that, if you wouldn’t mind answering a few questions about it for me?
1- how long do I keep the bag on? Just keep checking until new roots start to grow?
2) how often do I water while the bag is on , I’m assuming the bag will keep it moist for longer
3) should I add any fertilizer when I repot or just the soil
Thank you for your time and your help :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Leave out fertilizer while the tree is sick. Can sometimes cause more harm than good when a plant has compromised roots. Plenty of options to add fert when it is healthy and growing so just fresh, clean potting soil now.
Plastic bag is a mini greenhouse to keep high humidity round leaves while the roots cannot supply water. The bag would be on until you can see evidence of new growth.
Water use will be much reduced by lack of roots and further if a bag is used. Only EVER water when the soil gets slightly dry and that does not mean just the surface. Check deeper where the roots live before applying more water. It does not matter how long that takes for the soil to get dryish. Never water by calendar or schedule.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ficus really like heat and humidity, just like a jungle - hence the zip lock. Yes, a bag will give it that environment but I would put it in dappled sun if possible. I wouldnt want to cook the plant. Full sun outside with moderate water should also be fine. I have seen squishy limbs on a succulent but not a ficus, so, I am not sure if that was caused by too much water or if the root was already dead. I water my ficus plants heavily and I have never seen a squishy part from too much water.
The leaves look a little dried out. Maybe they will recover, or maybe you will get new shoots. I bet you can save it though.

Ps -- Maybe you could cut that middle root off and graft it back on in an upward direction?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom