Help! Nana Not looking good

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’t seems I am continually being reminded not to go soo hard on my nursery stock.
I don’t know the history of this plant as I bought it off someone at a silent auction.

From the look of the container, I’m thinking it was in there for awhile. Looking back-at this photo- I’m also noticing a dullness to the foliage and some brown needles in there from the get go 5C12F897-9BF8-42BA-AFAA-62188B0B4339.jpeg
I did this work early spring on this juniper.
I believe I removed about 40% of the foliage and a couple bigger problem branches.

The roots were alright but definitely didn’t fill the pot. I didnt have to do much root pruning to fit in the new pot.
I tried to gently comb out roots and removed most of the old soil. My cat is not impressed!
0879AB2F-E0E3-4BEF-85B5-585025D7B6BC.jpeg
The browning/ die back is worsening. I’ve left it in dappled light since repotting. I have not fertilized it yet.9E1A7223-3E6F-4544-9EF8-B9A4ADD80A5A.jpeg
I knew my work would slow this guys down, but I didn’t think I’d kill it. Anyways, If anyone has any advice and/or feedback I would really appreciate it!!!!!
Thank you.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’t seems I am continually being reminded not to go soo hard on my nursery stock
Nursery stock should be carefully evaluated, repotted at the first appropriate time, with native soil removed ( either bare root or gradually as per species) and then nurtured back to vigorous health! After that work can begin. Bonsai techniques were developed to be applied on healthy vigorous plants in order to get specific responses! If you look carefully at your first picture you will see another tree in the background.
This view reinforces your first statement.
It is not necessary to kill trees to learn bonsai!
Lesson number one is to learn to respect the tree.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think a couple of those branches were already dying before you started working it. So it might not be entirely your fault.
Not over watering is the best you can do now.

The soil blend seems a bit high in bark content, that's what nearly killed mine.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What I personally do when I acquire new nursery stock junipers: take the tree out of the pot and reduce the soil level until I find the nebari. Remove dead branches and foliage. Wait until summer to completely bare root the tree and get it into bonsai soil. I may remove one or two branches just to open the interior to light, but that's all. The tree will need all it's foliage (especially the tips!) to regenerate roots. If the tree looks healthy in the fall, I'll roughly wire the branches out to maximize exposure to sunlight. Then leave it alone for a year or two to recover! That's the hardest part. Best of luck on the next tree.

And your cat is like, wtf dude lol

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I think a couple of those branches were already dying before you started working it. So it might not be entirely your fault.

The soil blend seems a bit high in bark content, that's what nearly killed mine.
Thanks.

very good to know! Thank you

Top Bottom