Help needed! My Kingsville Boxwood leaves are turning yellow and falling off.

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I need some help. I recently bought a Kingsville Boxwood and the leaves have been turning yellow then a few fall off. I bought this from a shop in South Carolina and it now resides in Minnesota. What are the causes for this problem?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How recently was the purchase? Was it shipped thru some very cold weather to get to you? Are you keeping it inside? Are you watering it too much? What kind of soil is it in? Do you have some pictures?????? I have more questions than you...
More information please, and pictures will help as well. Sometimes it's just shedding old leaves, sometimes not. I would think it's probably the change of location, along with a watering issue.

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this back in early January and it did travel through the cold weather. I knew I might have problems purchasing it during the winter, thought a non tropical would be a little better in travel during the winter. I cant find my cameras cord to upload the photos, Ill get that tonight. I started off putting the boxwood under my grow lights, with my other bonsai, for about 10 hrs a day. When the problem started, I did a bunch more researching and find contradicting info. I have moved it out of almost all sunlight to give it a dormancy period. I am keeping it indoors and started watering from the top until water flowed out the bottom, twice. Since then I have switched to soaking it in a tub of water every 2-3 days. I use a water meter on all my bonsai for the first couple months to figure out the schedule it needs based of of that. I will have pictures late tonight. Any help and suggestions would help.

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is a couple pictures to show what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_20140225_132311_500.jpg
    IMG_20140225_132311_500.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20140225_132338_655.jpg
    IMG_20140225_132338_655.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 115

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Watering could be your culprit, also are keeping it in a heated area of the house or garage? Shouldnt be useing much water this time of the year in dormacy, I water once a month, unless we get a warm period and they dry.

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
I keep it indoors, about 70f. The soil dries out after 2-3 days. So I've been watering at that point.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didnt notice if it was in dormancy down south or not. If so, trying to get it to wake up now may well be the problem. If it was, then I would let it remain dormant until stuff "up nawth" naturally goes green. Also, no doubt you two are still getting used to each other. Dont freak out, dont overwater (do you know the chopstick water meter trick?) and dont fertilize yet.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks healthy enough. Evergreen trees still shed leaves; usually the interior leaves. That's what this looks like to me. Keep in plenty of light and back outside in the spring.

Goodstoph

Seedling
Reaction score
It was really healthy when I got this bonsai. over the last few weeks I've had the problems. I'm trying to figure out what it really needs (as I've had to do with all my other bonsai). I just bought thermometers to find a good cool spot for it since I think it might be better for it, I just don't want to keep moving it around. I have used the chopstick method before I got a water meter and only water when it is completely dry. Thank you for the responses, your advice is greatly appreciated.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is probably getting used to being in your environment. I've found that my kingsville shows any signs of stress rather slowly, so it could just be showing up now from the move. Mine periodically sheds old leaves and it looks a bit like this, it could be getting ready for new growth. I would not let it get bone dry, and I'd keep it out of full sun and really warm temps. Mine stays in a cool (not cold) shade spot all winter with no problems for the last 4 years. Don't mist, and try to keep the water off the leaves when you water, they don't like wet foliage.

This summer once it gets outside, I would probably try to get more light inside the canopy, the inside of the tree looks weak. You can do this by taking old leaves off, and wiring to get some spread of the current branching. You can do some pruning, but not too much until it gets healthier.
Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom