Help Needed Unhappy Bonsai

Reaction score
I have had my bonsai for over a year and it has dropped most of its leaves.
On closer inspection it appears to have brown fluffy lumps with green shoots groaning out of it
Can anyone help
Thanks 1285A3C3-B7FD-4662-A499-63ABF073A9F4.jpegCE65013A-E46C-48A1-8FBD-66A0C7079C96.jpeg

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Can you get a closer picture of the green leaves? I thinks it's a fukien tea. I don't know them very well, though.

I see some new growth, just leave it alone until it gains some strength.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think soil might be the culprit. By the way it seems to be fukein tea tree. This plant not like wet feet, so try to repot in more inorganic well draining soil.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like an indoor Barberry.

But that fuzz dont look right...

Pests?

Weird.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If this barberry is inside, that's a primary problem. The fuzz is mold probably growing from dead buds at the base of the leaves. That mold is NOT killing your plant. It is only cleaning up what is dead and dying -as in decomposing.

Barberry won't live inside -- it may limp along for a considerable period, since it's a tough plant to begin with, but it will eventually croak from dry air, too much water and not enough light. What you're seeing is the final stages of its life as the roots rot and leaves drop. The new growth is a last-ditch effort the plant is making to survive. This may sound dire, it is.

The soil doesn't drain and you're probably watering it regularly or constantly, contributing to the root rot that is a result of too much water.

To save this will require an emergency repot into better adequate bonsai soil and a complete root cleanse to remove dead roots. After its repot, it should be placed outside in full morning sun where it will get at least four hours of sunshine.

You don't provide your location, which is critically important for anyone here to help you...

Top Bottom