Help needed with Lodgepole Pines

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have some pretty nice yamadori Lodgepole pines that I have collected in my area and would like to understand more about how to take care of them. I read that once the needles have hardened off, then snip the "apical bud" off and then "fertilize like crazy" to get good back budding. So does that mean to only snip the apical at the top of the tree or also at the end of every branch? Also, what does "fertilize like crazy" mean. I need to get this so please be specific...like the fertilizer...what strength and how often, and how long into the fall does one do this. I would also do very well with video chatting with someone who is knowledgeable and could spend time looking at my trees and offering advice. PM me if you have the time. Thanks in advance.

PS: nearest club to me is two hrs away and no one in my area that knows anything

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have experimented with “heavy” fertilizer. I kept going until I saw trees are getting burned. And then backed away. It’s a tough way to go but it is an option.

habe you thought about getting a hold of some of the professionals in the Portland area? I knew a few do video consultations of your tree have pretty good local knowledge?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have some pretty nice yamadori Lodgepole pines that I have collected in my area and would like to understand more about how to take care of them. I read that once the needles have hardened off, then snip the "apical bud" off and then "fertilize like crazy" to get good back budding. So does that mean to only snip the apical at the top of the tree or also at the end of every branch? Also, what does "fertilize like crazy" mean. I need to get this so please be specific...like the fertilizer...what strength and how often, and how long into the fall does one do this. I would also do very well with video chatting with someone who is knowledgeable and could spend time looking at my trees and offering advice. PM me if you have the time. Thanks in advance.

PS: nearest club to me is two hrs away and no one in my area that knows anything
There are several crossroads that can lead to confusion and difficulty understanding which correct response is the one for your situation.
1. The process for Lodgepole refinement is the same as shore pine, so the steps outlined in that thread can be used for your Yamadori.
2. The timing is based on the method chosen, some choose to prune after needles harden off during the growing season. The other method involves pruning in the fall to produce back budding in the spring.
3. " snip the apical bud" is primarily for localized back budding near where the bud is snipped and does not result in back budding in the interior.
4. a primary factor is the condition of the tree, collected trees require two to three often more time to gain the vigorous needed for the back budding response to be real effective.
5. Heavy fertilization simply means that enough nutrients are available to foster strong growth and recovery. I base it on the size of the tree and the size of the container the tree is in.
6. Specific advice is best obtained from a knowledgeable person who can view your trees and is familiar with your climate. There are a number of professionals in your area that do video consultation. For best results you should be equipped to provide clear video presentation of the trees from your end. That is the best way for someone to guide you on the method and show examples of application. IE: specify where to cut and when for your particular situation.
Also because it is basically a Zoom call the individual assisting can be located anywhere if they are familiar with single flush pines and your climate!
The communication skills of the consultant are critical and I can highly recommend Jonas Dupuich in California. His rates are also very reasonable in my opinion.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One big reason that organic fertilizer is so common among pros is that it's very difficult to burn roots with it. Newly collected trees, or trees taking up less water due to dormancy, etc should probably not be fertilized right away, but opinions differ on this. I avoid it and never have issues.

Getting good budding on single flush pines is more about increasing strength, that's a long discussion and there's lots of post and videos about the subject. I don't want to oversimplify, because it depends on too many factors, i.e. needle plucking, removing sacrifice branches to induce back budding, etc.

Jonas would be good to talk to, pretty much any pro seems to have a similar take.

Top Bottom