Help! New unfurled leaves on F. Religiosa aren't growing to their full size.

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone! I've been trying to pursue the art of bonsai growing for a few years now. I was studying away from home and thus couldn't concentrate much on them. Now that I'm back home I'm trying to learn proper watering, sunlight, fertilizing and bonsai soil mixes. Lately my trees have been reacting quite weirdly, my ficus religiosa bonsai which was grown from a cutting was growing normal sized leaves till now and then it grew two dwarfed leaves which aren't growing anymore. The older leaves look fine, my soil is well drained and thus I water it daily, the tree gets 2-3 hrs of afternoon sunlight (I'm from India and afternoon temperatures rise upto around 34°c). I don't know if these two leaves are stunted or not as they haven't gotten larger for the past 5 days. F. Religiosas usually grow larger leaves with every new leaf and the previous leaves are larger than these ones as well. This is bothering me, please, any help will be appreciated. I'm attaching pictures of the stunted leaves, soil and the overall look for your reference. Thank you.16068129493936117520783012701935.jpg16068137459401283406427146152269.jpg16068137591452140883589160019777.jpg

Last edited:

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update - the topmost leaf out of the two dwarf ones just fell off.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, traveller! Feel the earth beneath you undulate as the Woody Dwarves turn their gaze to meet yours, in welcoming acceptance, to the Tiny Forest.

This wonderful place has all the delicious benefits (and absurdities) of a knowledge/experience swapping bazaar...(and EVERYONE here has much to offer) take what you need, leave what you can.

My knowledge of Ficus is quite small... but someone more armed to assist you should be along soon.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

🤓

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
These tree can be a pain if you do not live in a tropical climate, without sufficient light there a bug and problem magnet. How are you growing them and where are you as this will greatly influence how robust these ficus religiosa are. They need strong light and warm with moist but free draining soil to thrive. Mine struggle in my climate when my other figs more forgiving.

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_175124.jpg
    IMG_20201201_175124.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20201201_175130.jpg
    IMG_20201201_175130.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20201201_175142.jpg
    IMG_20201201_175142.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 22

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These tree can be a pain if you do not live in a tropical climate, without sufficient light there a bug and problem magnet. How are you growing them and where are you as this will greatly influence how robust these ficus religiosa are. They need strong light and warm with moist but free draining soil to thrive. Mine struggle in my climate when my other figs more forgiving.
Hi there! I live in Mumbai, India. The climate is tropical in my city and quite humid all year long. The winters get a bit dry with humidity around 50% otherwise it's quite sultry and the avg humidity is around 70-80%. I don't think humidity is a problem in my case. I checked the soil and even though it easily drains very well, it looks soggy underneath the top surface (bonsai soil composition - 50% lava rocks + 50% compost). The soil is gritty and thus I'm unable to use a moisture meter to check for moisture. Also, lava rocks don't look any different once they get wet, so, I'm unable to distinguish between dry and wet soil on the basis of color, I have to dig into the soil everytime and that's just feels annoying.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Question for you- can you grow these outside? Is the weather good to place this outside?
I am thinking that this is either too wet or too dry. Judging from your description it would be too wet. It may also need more light.
the container that you have it in is large- that is ok but you must water according to the needs of the plant.

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question for you- can you grow these outside? Is the weather good to place this outside?
I am thinking that this is either too wet or too dry. Judging from your description it would be too wet. It may also need more light.
the container that you have it in is large- that is ok but you must water according to the needs of the plant.
Thanks for replying. I wish I could do that but I live in an apartment and I don't have access to open ground. The watering confuses me as everywhere on the internet overwatering is shown as browning of tips, yellowing and falling of leaves but in my case the trees are aborting new growth and the new growth is getting affected, I couldn't find anything regarding this problem on the net.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do understand this.
Confusing to me also at first. Ficus is different- yellow or falling leaves can be caused by over or under watering.
it can be caused from moving locations or a cold blast of air.
Ficus can sulk for many reasons and it’s up to you to figure out why. So first thing is get this tree some more light. You can use a seedling mat to heat up the roots if you think that is needed.
I think your roots are struggling- strong roots equals strong tree.
If you must then buy a light to supplement.

if this one dies- try again
04D20C49-41BA-4D89-92C5-47AE6D9B01DC.jpeg

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do understand this.
Confusing to me also at first. Ficus is different- yellow falling leaves can be caused by over or under watering.
it can be caused from moving locations or a cold blast of air.
Ficus can sulk for many reasons and it’s up to you to figure out why. So first thing is get this tree some more light. You can use a seedling mat to heat up the roots if you think that is needed.
I think your roots are struggling- strong roots equals strong tree.
If you must then buy a light to supplement.

if this one dies- try again
View attachment 342537
Light isn't an issue I feel, it sits on the south side window sill and gets 3 hours of afternoon sun. The ambient light seems quite bright, again, I live in a tropical region so temperature, humidity and light aren't a problem. I appreciate you helping to figure this out with me, I am new to all this and experimenting with my soil and trees seems to harm them, but again, I think without experimenting I won't be able to crack the best kind of soil for my region and also the watering regime. Thanks a lot for tuning in and helping 😊 I hope you'll stay in touch with this thread and give your insights as I update the condition of my trees.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
I think I'm seeing spider mite damage on the leaves. I have seen spider mites attacking new buds causing deformed leaves.

What are the white spots on the leaves? Watee residue or mold?

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'm seeing spider mite damage on the leaves. I have seen spider mites attacking new buds causing deformed leaves.

What are the white spots on the leaves? Watee residue or mold?
Hello there, those white spots are just fungicide residue that I sprayed a few days back, no spider mites I think. I've not seen any of them on my f. Religiosa. I actually feel like it's something to do with the roots 😞

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is how I started- in an apartment for 10 years. Hang in there. You will get some growing.

Attachments

• F043ECEB-67D3-4046-A15E-71BD27D51C59.jpeg
    F043ECEB-67D3-4046-A15E-71BD27D51C59.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 72DA0860-6DBC-413D-BEAF-A834B05FEA9C.jpeg
    72DA0860-6DBC-413D-BEAF-A834B05FEA9C.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 21

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Outside would be better for these trees I think 3 hour of sun indoor is not enough mabye try a grow light if you can not do outdoors. Spray for mites as mine always get them indoors. These should grow like a beast outside in your climate.

Ujjawal Roy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Outside would be better for these trees I think 3 hour of sun indoor is not enough mabye try a grow light if you can not do outdoors. Spray for mites as mine always get them indoors. These should grow like a beast outside in your climate.
I know they should, but something is stopping it from growing vigorously. I've checked for mites and I see none, I'll spray the foliage tomorrow and see if it helps, I use neem spray regularly on my trees for basic pest prevention.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The early 1/2 of a mite infestation is difficult to SEE... normally characterized FIRST by slowed growth, abnormal NEW growth, silky “web” nests on primary tip foliage, and paling of foliage in spots...

Get some paper.... hold it underneath the tree, and smack it around a bit... observe the paper... look for TINY movement...

No matter how good you THINK you are spraying for them.... it’s NEVER good enough.. just keep that in mind if you DO , in fact, see this “Tiny Movement” (Neem works well)

Seriously.. pots, tools, and surrounding area.. EVERYBODY gets sprayed.

🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like I need to know more about this... break me off some info, brotha.
They call it oil, Oil clogs pores, trees may not have pores but they do need to "breath". Save the Neem Oil for Method Man's Rash in How High.

Oh too, you're right about it never reaching everything, because it's physically impossible for it to, and them little bitches know where to hide!

I've never had any mites return after a 24hour underwater soak. Healthy trees prevent them fine. Mites just means prune less, or more thoughtfully.

Sorce

Top Bottom