Help - Picea Abies Sapling

bhacktus

Seed
Reaction score
Good morning,

I have been growing this Picea Abies, pictured below, from sapling for about 2 years now. The plant still resides in its original peat pot and soil, but I worry about its slow growth progress over the last year and its leaf coloration now. I haven't had a stable place to put it outside, but I could supplement by leaving it on a window sill in an unheated vestibule with the window open (even through winter). I am considering repotting the plant this spring to a more stable pot that might lend itself to being outside. I've also read that Picea Abies responds best to a mix of 33-33-33 lava rock, akadama, and pumice.

Is repotting at this stage a good idea? Is switching the plant from organic to better draining soil a good idea?

I haven't been able to find many resources dealing with saplings at this stage so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2694.jpg
    IMG_2694.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 26

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just give it as much sun and close to an outdoor environment as possible. If it hasn’t doubled in size in the next two weeks, I think you got a runt.
FD54A6D0-EE9A-45CF-A772-8229B4E1CE7B.jpeg
This one is 2 yrs old. Waiting for it to burst those buds soon!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@bhacktus
I do believe you when you say your seedling Picea abies is 2 years old. Picea are outdoor trees, and the lack of growth is in part due to being too "sheltered" from the environment it is adapted to, outdoors. It should be closer to the size of the seedlings in @Eckhoffw photos by now.

If you can, repot to the the lava-pumice-akadama mix, or even a plain old potting soil mix. Then get this seedling outdoors, into full sun if possible. Actually, step it into full sun, 2 weeks in full shade, then 2 weeks in half sun, then move to full sun. Lack of full sun is at least part of the reason this seedling is so small.

Through most of North America, you can leave this seedling out all winter. Spruces, Picea, need a very cold winter rest. Lack of growth can also be due to being kept too warm during winter. They need at least 120 days of temperatures below 4 C or below 40 F to meet their winter dormancy requirements.

So I would repot as soon as possible, and set it outside.

If you are an apartment dweller, and don't have an outdoor vegetable plot or outdoor garden space, I am afraid this tree is doomed. It will never adapt and grow in an indoor set up.

bhacktus

Seed
Reaction score
@bhacktus
I do believe you when you say your seedling Picea abies is 2 years old. Picea are outdoor trees, and the lack of growth is in part due to being too "sheltered" from the environment it is adapted to, outdoors. It should be closer to the size of the seedlings in @Eckhoffw photos by now.

If you can, repot to the the lava-pumice-akadama mix, or even a plain old potting soil mix. Then get this seedling outdoors, into full sun if possible. Actually, step it into full sun, 2 weeks in full shade, then 2 weeks in half sun, then move to full sun. Lack of full sun is at least part of the reason this seedling is so small.

Through most of North America, you can leave this seedling out all winter. Spruces, Picea, need a very cold winter rest. Lack of growth can also be due to being kept too warm during winter. They need at least 120 days of temperatures below 4 C or below 40 F to meet their winter dormancy requirements.

So I would repot as soon as possible, and set it outside.

If you are an apartment dweller, and don't have an outdoor vegetable plot or outdoor garden space, I am afraid this tree is doomed. It will never adapt and grow in an indoor set up.

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply! I will give it my best shot to save this little guy from my ignorance!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just give it as much sun and close to an outdoor environment as possible. If it hasn’t doubled in size in the next two weeks, I think you got a runt.
View attachment 299282
This one is 2 yrs old. Waiting for it to burst those buds soon!
By the way, your wires seem to be biting. Be careful. When wires bite in, they can take a lot of bark with them in spruces. Never let them bite.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
By the way, your wires seem to be biting. Be careful. When wires bite in, they can take a lot of bark with them in spruces. Never let them bite.
I’m. Going to leave them in. P. Chan inspired.

Top Bottom