Help pick a tree to show

Which tree would you want to see at a show?

• Total voters

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Our Spring Show is next weekend. I committed to 5 displays and I’m not completely satisfied with any of these 4, but need to pick one of these four as the 5th display. So, what say you?

Poll: Which one of these four would you want to see if you were walking through a show? Comments welcome.

Ginkgo: last year we had 4 in the show. This one isn’t very big at 19” tall from the pot rim, and shows need a few big trees.
Pine: still early in development, flawed apex, bad pot. Bad time of year to show a pine, but it’s also fairly big at 27” tall.
Maple: still has a thread graft showing, weak right side, and still planted deep to improve the nebari. But, it is big, at 30” tall.
Ume: no reason not to show this, other than they’re normally shown in bloom, and I don’t have a good stand. 24” tall.
D995B834-FF50-488F-A743-E2481BB07A61.jpegF58A94CE-A8B1-411A-8272-E4FC287DB0BA.jpeg70D31DFC-3C76-4E05-873C-B645D1BBEADE.jpegACAB7E2F-E335-48F3-8E9B-D16B2C3E8E78.jpeg
Thanks!

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
....but if you want me to pick, I'd choose the one that has had the least exposure in your local/regional show(s) that is show ready in your opinion. That Ume is looking pretty sweet with it's spring foliage:). You can bring the pine or the maple as back up if you need a filler.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geez Brian, I wish I had this embarrassment of riches :)

All are cool - I'd lean towards the ume but maybe pick something different from the other submissions? Though I'd bet that the ume and gingko would be unique.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still hate the Ume for the most part but it is still the most showable here.

"Show in Flower" is kind of an opinion.

Grafts....no.
Flaws...no...and that pine pot is weak. A better pot and I'd consider that.

I can't get the Gingko out of the dark bag in my head......
But I don't like the foot placement on that blue pot for this Ginkgo...a bit unstable..and something about the distance from foot to edge in those ovals all together feels uncomfortable to me.
Then that kinda makes me hate the blue color...which is beautiful...but a bit to Panz for this....Masculine Bruce ish Olympiad type chichi on a male type deal....
Man or women the Ginks Crushes that pot in my mind.

I understand you may have reason to be concerned with what the show has in total.

But I think you are obligated to put your best foot forward.
Even if that means No foot.

Lead by example. Again, maybe you are too humble to realize your influence. I respect that.

You cant go letting all your people think it's ok to fill the "tall" gap in a show with an unprepared tree.

Less is more.

You....do not need this thread.

Sorce

Last edited:

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brian, I like the Ginko and the Ume. It’s fairly rare to see an Ume looking refined enough to show as a decidious tree. (As opposed to a flowering tree in winter).

So show the Ume.
exactly my thoughts! and besides that, I like the tree better than the others posted just at a quick glance. It's a really nice tree!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I still hate the Ume for the most part but it is still the most showable here.

"Show in Flower" is kind of an opinion.

Grafts....no.
Flaws...no...and that pine pot is weak. A better pot and I'd consider that.

I can't get the Gingko out of the dark bag in my head......
But I don't like the foot placement on that blue pot for this Ginkgo...a bit unstable..and something about the distance from foot to edge in those ovals all together feels uncomfortable to me.
Then that kinda makes me hate the blue color...which is beautiful...but a bit to Panz for this....Masculine Bruce ish Olympiad type chichi on a male type deal....
Man or women the Ginks Crushes that pot in my mind.

I understand you may have reason to be concerned with what the show has in total.

But I think you are obligated to put your best foot forward.
Even if that means No foot.

Lead by example. Again, maybe you are too humble to realize your influence. I respect that.

You cant go letting all your people think it's ok to fill the "tall" gap in a show with an unprepared tree.

Less is more.

You....do not need this thread.

Sorce
Need, no, but I am curious. And its a needed break from the recent posts of dead pines and junipers and not contests.
How’s my ginkgo pot coming along??

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
....but if you want me to pick, I'd choose the one that has had the least exposure in your local/regional show(s) that is show ready in your opinion. That Ume is looking pretty sweet with it's spring foliage:). You can bring the pine or the maple as back up if you need a filler.
Kinda where my head is too. Never shown the pine before. Last year was pretty bad. We had several longtime members with good trees decide not to participate, and the show chair was scrambling for trees. I had committed to show 3, got talked up to 5, and ended up showing 11, so most everything that is close to ready has been shown by now.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ume, or repot the Pine, or............. the Maple :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am going to jump in with Adair and his opinion. Nailed it for myself. That Ume as a deciduous is rare...and had me do a double take... Though I love Ginkgo...the Ume.

Top Bottom