help please: what type of bonsai do i have?

zuldor

Seed
Reaction score
can someone please tell me what type of bonsai i have (it was a gift) and if it is a indoor or outdoor bonsai? i have already tried to find the answear in other forums and bonsai-topics but i am still not sure.image3.JPG image1(1).JPG

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh and I'd do outfoor, some say indoor. Depends on your zone / country

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Chinese Elm, first is the worst second is the worst, third is the one with the hairy chest, or something like that.

It's an outdoor tree. Leave it outside year round. Where are you located?

zuldor

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Located in Switzerland and I just googled Chinese Elm and read in a Switzerland Bonsai Topic that this type of Bonsai should stay outside between Mai to September. But always as much sun as possible. So now I am not sure since Mister Redwood Ryan is suggesting to leave it outside the hole year.

Other question, what is that little plant for? Should i remove it or leave it? In my opinion the Bonsai looks better without it.

ps: props to all of you. never thought that i was going to have replies so fast...

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes, leave it outside year round. How cold does it get there in winter? Unless it gets scary cold, all you'll need to do is protect the tree in winter. Otherwise it's meant to stay outdoors.

zuldor

Seed
Reaction score
forgot the picture of the little plant next to the Bonsai... here it is (what is that little plant for? Should i remove it or leave it? In my opinion the Bonsai looks better without it):

Attachments

• image1(2).JPG
    image1(2).JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 42

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
forgot the picture of the little plant next to the Bonsai... here it is (what is that little plant for? Should i remove it or leave it? In my opinion the Bonsai looks better without it):
I don't know, it's not a weed for sure, maybe 2in1, bonsai and accent plant. I see no reason to grow them in one pot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The grass is one of the species in the genus Ophiopogon, sometimes called lillyturf grass. They are a flowering plant in the Nolinoideae. Used to be considered a Lilly family genus.

Ophiopogon planiscapus frma nigrescens is a dark purple brown leaf form called "Black Mondo Grass". It is from Japan, lower elevation forests. Ophiopogon japonicus, is also common as a bonsai accent plant. It is from southern Japan and parts of Philippines. Both are hardy to about zero F, or -15 C, but in pots they are less hardy. Can be treated as sub-tropicals.

Top Bottom