Help please

Reaction score
Hey Bonsai family, I need some help about this juniper. Can you recommend a style, trim or the next step?
Please, thanks everyone for your help an comments ??

Attachments

• 20180721_201611.jpg
    20180721_201611.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180721_201623.jpg
    20180721_201623.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20180721_201634.jpg
    20180721_201634.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 30

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would remove the bamboo, see what it does.
Then look for what the trunk line wants to do, and decide if that's okay, or if it needs wire and beding (best do that in fall or winter with junipers).
Then work upwards to see if there are any branches that can go. I personally don't like even branching patterns, so if there are opposing branches, the ugliest has to go.
This can be a process of days, turning the tree, leaving it alone, look again, mark a branch, turn it again, look again. Repeat until infinity or just hack away and never look back, going forwards.
Once mayor branches are decided, smaller branches come into play. And so on.

Can we decide the style? Sure. But that would take all the fun out for you. That's the fun part!

Just make sure that if you want to make dead wood, jins or whatever ghostly remains, it's cool to leave that branch alive for the first year. The bigger it gets, the more impressive it will be later on. I trimmed the bark off of some branches, and now the tree has grown a little, the jins and dead wood are more appendages than characteristic features. I did it too soon. In 1 year, they'll look like matchsticks compared to the tree. I wish someone would've told me, so there you go ;-)

Good luck!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just make sure that if you want to make dead wood, jins or whatever ghostly remains, it's cool to leave that branch alive for the first year. The bigger it gets, the more impressive it will be later on. I trimmed the bark off of some branches, and now the tree has grown a little, the jins and dead wood are more appendages than characteristic features. I did it too soon. In 1 year, they'll look like matchsticks compared to the tree. I wish someone would've told me, so there you go ;-)

A-HA! I knew it! This is the post I’ve been waiting for my whole life.

At my stage of development, all of my junipers are small. From my original teacher to multiple people on the Internet I’ve heard, “you need to jin some branches”. I was like, but they’ll be dead and won’t get any bigger, shouldn’t I wait? And now finally someone came out and said it. Thanks WGW!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know your skill level, but you could practise wiring it (in the right season), create some movement. Next year you can work with the branches that survive the wiring ;) Also that main trunk is probably too long you could reduce it (in the pruning season).

Top Bottom