Help please...

Katz01

Seed
Reaction score
Hello...
I got this beautiful Bonsai tree in November last year as a gift. I’m in NY and temperatures are crazy freezing out here. I took out my beautiful tree which was super healthy and green. Unfortunately temperatures dropped below 0 degrees F and I completely forgot to bring my tree inside. It spent a whole night under freezing temperatures. I want to know if it’ll be ok or if I need to trim anything off of it? I’m going to attach a picture to show how it got. Any help/advice would be highly appreciated!!
Thank you <3

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What kind of tree Is this? It looks like it could be an Azalea. How often had it been living inside? Is inside a heated area or like an unheated garage? These details are necessary for people to offer help.

I'm not an Azalea person so if it is an Azalea I can't offer much help. If it is indeed an Azalea, I do know that they are not indoor pets. They may need protection of an unheated garage or something in your area but they will not like being in a heated home for extended periods of time.

It may just be a little frost bit and given some care it will bounce back with new growth in the spring. Don't start panic watering and think water is going to be the magic elixir or something. Keep it moist but don't drown it.

Hope that helps.

Cory

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going from living inside (?) into 0F is probably too much for it.
Best you can do it put it in a cool frost-free place. Keep the roots moist but certainly never soaking wet. And wait.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Azaleas can take a bit of frost, but -18C is really cold. I leave mine in a plastic greenhouse but our temps rarely get down below -5 C. As the others have said try and find somewhere really cool that wont freeze. Not easy I know. Maybe a polystyrene box kept next to the house???

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are lots of different types of azalea. Some are much more cold hardy than others. I guess it is one of the cold hardy ones as you live in NY. It should be fine going down to freezing but I don't know about 0F as we never see temps anywhere near that low here.
You have brought it in now and there's nothing else you can do after the fact except cross fingers.
Cold damage can vary from nothing at all through minor twigs dying, the whole plant dying but sprouting again from the stump or the roots. Occasionally one will just die completely if the temps were way outside its tolerance I hope yours will be OK but only time will tell now.

Katz01

Seed
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply... yes it’s an Azalea. Thank you everyone for the advice, I have moved it indoors in a cool area. It doesn’t look so well, looks like a drying tree unfortunately. Just like one said, only time will tell I’ll have to wait and see if it pulls through. Adding a pic of how it currently looks today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 26

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gosh sorry... that’s looking sad @Katz01... getting dessecated to me, although the photos seem a bit blurry,

At this point there are a couple emergency room measures you should try.

1. Keep as cool as possible. Too warm and you’ll end up with fungus. You won’t see it...

2. Mist the foliage.. likely if what I’m seeing is accurate it’s too far down for this action alone.

3. Bag in a plastic bag after misting it a bit. Do not water the roots unless the soil is barely wet, then mist the soil, do not soak.

4. Wait 5 days... check if the leaves have firmed up. Mist and bag again. Repeat until the plant revives or not.

Welcome aboard!

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom