HELP: Pruning/Shaping

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a beginner and got my first Bonsai last Winter. It is been 10 months I have this Ficus and i recently re-potted it. As spring is here I need help pruning and shaping my tree. It someone could shed some light on what should be the front of my tree and how can i go about shaping or pruning it that would be great.

Attachments

• 20160302_195304.jpg
    20160302_195304.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160302_195327.jpg
    20160302_195327.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 65

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to BNut. Picture 2 could be the front. If it were mine I would chop the right side at the red line and next year ground layer at the bottom red lines. Also, as the trunk grows wire some movement into it with the branched at the outside of the curves. I will take several years and much more learning to get a decent looking bonsai but this tree has potential. You should find some info on the forum on ground layering if you don't know what that is. Good luck.

Attachments

• Ficus help vert.jpg
    Ficus help vert.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 61
Reaction score
Really appreciate your quick response :) I like your idea of cutting the right side and I will read into some ground layering as well.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in mind my advice is just to get the trunk going in the right direction. After you get a decent trunk then you can begin work on the branches and overall shape of the tree. Hopefully, some others will chime in and give you some more ideas.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You're not ready for styling yet....
Ground layer, is a good idea for this type of tree, to get a good trunk with proper taper....
I have one too, I think I'm just going to completely chop the "tubers" off of mine, and plant it. Basically treat the whole tree like a cutting....
Yours doesn't have the huge ridiculous tubers like most....still though....it'll make for a nice mame or shohin some day....
And welcome to the nut house!

Reaction score
You're not ready for styling yet....
Ground layer, is a good idea for this type of tree, to get a good trunk with proper taper....
I have one too, I think I'm just going to completely chop the "tubers" off of mine, and plant it. Basically treat the whole tree like a cutting....
Yours doesn't have the huge ridiculous tubers like most....still though....it'll make for a nice mame or shohin some day....
And welcome to the nut house!
Thanks. So the overall verdict I am getting is to wait for another spring which is OK. I was wondering if the top starts growing a lot then I may lose time to shape due to haphazard growth?
Should I trim to get desired growth like removing leaves near the trunk or top branches during this spring?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You can do some clip and grow this summer, when it's growing vigorously.
Most likely, after you get your desired trunk, you'll be removing most of the branches anyway....
In my case, when I chop my roots off, I will aslo defoliate the tree (take all the leaves off) and cut some, or most of the branches....
Start fresh....

toni2121

Seedling
Reaction score
I also dont know where can i go about shaping or pruning? 135580094_2732066487053239_7852037757256259932_n.jpg

Attachments

• 135572789_1263080780732726_7902486436728095566_n.jpg
    135572789_1263080780732726_7902486436728095566_n.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 19

toni2121

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to BNut. Picture 2 could be the front. If it were mine I would chop the right side at the red line and next year ground layer at the bottom red lines. Also, as the trunk grows wire some movement into it with the branched at the outside of the curves. I will take several years and much more learning to get a decent looking bonsai but this tree has potential. You should find some info on the forum on ground layering if you don't know what that is. Good luck.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to let it grow a little more before trimming and shaping. I usually start with the developing the trunk and a first branch then the rest of the branches. Check out this thread of one of my trees which started out similar to yours. I've been working on this tree for 9 years so keep in mind you need to have a little patience.
My First Ficus Progression | Bonsai Nut
The one problem I see with your tree is this is a grafted Ginsing Ficus as opposed to a non grafted one. The Ficus in this thread and my thread are non grafted Ginsing. The location where the graft was made will never look good. I personally would not invest a lot in this tree but instead get better material, with no graft, to start with. Sorry about that but that is my opinion.

toni2121

Seedling
Reaction score
You need to let it grow a little more before trimming and shaping. I usually start with the developing the trunk and a first branch then the rest of the branches. Check out this thread of one of my trees which started out similar to yours. I've been working on this tree for 9 years so keep in mind you need to have a little patience.
My First Ficus Progression | Bonsai Nut
The one problem I see with your tree is this is a grafted Ginsing Ficus as opposed to a non grafted one. The Ficus in this thread and my thread are non grafted Ginsing. The location where the graft was made will never look good. I personally would not invest a lot in this tree but instead get better material, with no graft, to start with. Sorry about that but that is my opinion.
Thank you for your opinion.

Top Bottom