Help Repotting 70+ Year Old Liquid Amber (Sweetgum)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I do with the bags is that I screw the tree to a tile before I place it in the bag. I don't use the entire height of the bag either, in most cases I fold the side in 1/2. I add about 1/3 of the height with substrate, then add the tree and fill the rest. In the cases of thirsty trees I do a pot in pot. So I would use either a terracotta planter pot, plastic pot, or build a wooden box, place the bag inside and fill between the bag and the pot. That will give the tree more rigidity if necessary. I also have all my bed grown trees inside bags. With that said, plenty or nurseries have trees growing in bags and have no issues at all.

I think the main concern would be if you are going to be moving the tree all the time. The only reason I see myself moving a tree is to rotate for sunlight, and that is easy in my bench. If the tree is too heavy, as this one, you could build a Lazy-Susan the size you need...

Sweetyness

Seedling
Reaction score
The problem with pouches in this case is that they are obviously not rigid, and there isn't a good way to tie the tree in.

While it develops new roots any jostling from wind or handling risks breaking off the new, delicate root growth, and will be very detrimental to restoring health.

I highly suggest a grow box - and soon. I wouldn't want to keep dragging out this work over days. I know it might be tough, but I'd sit down and try to finish the work as soon as possible.

A box can be made the correct size and depth for the tree, and you can wire it in so it is stable.
Thank you. I will see about getting a grow box to fit. It has been in good soil since I last worked on it- been too busy with work- working this weekend too. But plan to finish lasted today.

Sweetyness

Seedling
Reaction score
What I do with the bags is that I screw the tree to a tile before I place it in the bag. I don't use the entire height of the bag either, in most cases I fold the side in 1/2. I add about 1/3 of the height with substrate, then add the tree and fill the rest. In the cases of thirsty trees I do a pot in pot. So I would use either a terracotta planter pot, plastic pot, or build a wooden box, place the bag inside and fill between the bag and the pot. That will give the tree more rigidity if necessary. I also have all my bed grown trees inside bags. With that said, plenty or nurseries have trees growing in bags and have no issues at all.

I think the main concern would be if you are going to be moving the tree all the time. The only reason I see myself moving a tree is to rotate for sunlight, and that is easy in my bench. If the tree is too heavy, as this one, you could build a Lazy-Susan the size you need...
Ok, I understand. I actually do have a large wooden lazy Susan, it just has an 8” metal pole in the center which I may be able to remove. Thanks for the link! I have all of my large planted pots on small furniture Dollie’s so I can easily move them around.
I don’t think I need to secure the tree to anything, but maybe once I get the rest of the root ball owned up. If I put plywood on a dolly I could tie it through the bottom of the bag to the wood.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just found this post! I myself involved quite a bit of dealing with severe rootbound large trees such as trident maple, liquidamber, olive, elm, crype myrtle, pomegranate, juniper, pines.
With liquidamber, you should not be worried too much because it is very strong and hard to kill! You can cut its root as much as you can because it roots out so easily. If this tree belonged to me, I would use a electrical reciprocal saw to cut the rootball like I cut pizza, and remove the parts alternately. After that, put in in the good drainage soil and place it in the shady place with good humidity.

p/s: my liquidamber has a lot leaves at this time. Yours does not have leaves yet, does it? If it already leaves out, it is too dangerous to do transplant.
Good luck to you.
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom