Help Repotting FukienTea

Reaction score
I just received a fairly sized fukien tea (12") and I noticed that the pot that it came in has no holes for drainage. I was looking up some sites that say fukien need to be repotted in the middle of summer because of the climate but I live in Miami so the climate is always very humid and warm. Would it be okay for me to repot my Bonsai now?

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I got one that was potted in 100% peatmoss. I repotted in fall with weather much like what the Miami weather is right now. The tree responded very well to getting out of that peat and into some bonsai soil.

Personal observations:
1.It might drop a few leaves and stop flowing for a couple weeks. That's what mine do after repotting.
2.Mine also flower a lot when I am treating them properly. I find the flowers to be a decent health gauge.

Good luck and Post photos. Before, during, after we like them all!

Reaction score
I just received a fairly sized fukien tea (12") and I noticed that the pot that it came in has no holes for drainage. I was looking up some sites that say fukien need to be repotted in the middle of summer because of the climate but I live in Miami so the climate is always very humid and warm. Would it be okay for me to repot my Bonsai now?

It looks pretty healthy the only problems are the peat moss and the fact that the bonsai isn't secure the trunk wobbles a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_3767.JPG
    IMG_3767.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 39

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I'm on the other side of Florida, south of Tampa and I repotted two about a week ago and they are both fine. So I think your tree will be fine.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your tree looks healthy. I repotted mine in January this year and it's OK... because my notes say it was repotted by me for a first time in November when I brought it home few years ago and then in December for a second time. Mine is grown indoors.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zone 9 shrub, in a pot might be more zone 10.
Needs freely draining soil and when rested in bright light for a week after repotting, full sun.

Note - This is the tropics - low is 68 to 66 deg.F at night for about 5 to 10 hours.

All fukiens were repotted back in January after the 2nd.

It's a month plus later and we have begun the once a week, into moist soil, 1/3 strength fertiliser
programme [ using Miracle grow Lawn fertiliser ]

Plants are lush, and some are flowering but no extensions as of yet.
Should get those next month.
Oldest shrub is supposed to be over 50 years [ import through UK from China ]

Soil is a simple blend of 5 mm inorganic 2/3 by volume and aged compost 1/3.
Aged compost is compost kept in a barrel with cover for 1 year, kept just moist.
Encourages weed seed to germinate and die in the darkness.
We make our own compost.

Take cuttings to test ideas, please, please do not experiment on the mother plant.

Pots need holes for water to drain ------------ got a drill ?
Good Day
Anthony

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I'm just north of you in Fort Lauderdale and I plan on repotting my Fukien Tea this month.

The leaves will drop, these little guys are very finicky, don't panic. I like the little flowers this tree puts off, but I pluck them immediately. They tend to dry out, brown and then gal in the pot. I spend a lot of time picking out organic material out of the pot.

They grow fantastic here in South Florida, don't let them dry out, let them get plenty of sun. I find mine doesn't like to be in the wind, the leaves get a little pouty and fall off when it's real windy.

Good luck!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know, I only have good things to say about the fukien tea.

It is at it's best, lush, deep green of leaf. A hedging plant, so the shape can be anything.
It is leaf dense and comes in three sizes of leaves.

A little secret, when ground growing for trunk size, don't dig it out, airlayer.
On our side trunk size only comes with ground growing, there are about 10 bird planted
plants on the lawn.

We never bother about the flowers, as they later produce carnelian orange berries, very beautiful.
The birds luv em.

If I get time on the weekend, I want to show you, something that was found in the bamboo
hedge and then some Chinese technology was used on it.

Easy shrub to grow, just make sure the soil is freely draining, also loves compost and the 1/3
strength Miracle-gro lawn fertiliser into moist soil, once a week.
Good Day
Anthony

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like your name :)

Top Bottom