Help! Satsuki Azaela

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
a couple weeks ago 1 of my 2 azaelas just started to go brown on me and its definitely dying, my other one was beautiful and green but now it seems like its dying also ); any suggestions or thoughts or what it might be? maybe i over water them or idk what the hell i always watered when they seemed dry7E1327A7-7FE0-421C-BCE2-175D4914F8D5.jpeg35E523F0-B3AE-435D-BE58-ABFF3CB43765.jpeg16D97A3E-915B-4558-BB8D-5F7174112F30.jpeg

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am by no means a azaelas anything, i dont have any but to me the leaves in the close ups look more moldy then dried? You didnt say much other then they are dieing. So im going off of that. Does it look more fungal or drying out?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Browning of the leaf tips on azaleas usually indicates roots are staying too wet. If your temperatures have begun to cool off, you should be watering less. Browning of entire leaves can indicate under watering, but it could also be a pathogen or mechanical damage that affected sap flow.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Check your water ph and hardness, too. Azaleas are acid loving shrubs and hard, alkaline water can make their maintenance a nightmare. Satsuki are pretty sun tolerant but prefer their sun with higher relative humidity... not sure what the climate is out your way other then HOT but that's something to look at.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
I am by no means a azaelas anything, i dont have any but to me the leaves in the close ups look more moldy then dried? You didnt say much other then they are dieing. So im going off of that. Does it look more fungal or drying out?

damn idk if it can be fungul because i havent had experience with that so idk exactly what to look for, they seem to be drying but not like other plants that ive killed that have dried up leaves where theyre brittle you know? these seem to be soft

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
Browning of the leaf tips on azaleas usually indicates roots are staying too wet. If your temperatures have begun to cool off, you should be watering less. Browning of entire leaves can indicate under watering, but it could also be a pathogen or mechanical damage that affected sap flow.

ahh i like to think i watered only when they needed but perhaps i over watered them sometimes, i didnt think it could be that at 1st because only one was looking bad and the other real healthy but now that both are bad it just might be

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
Check your water ph and hardness, too. Azaleas are acid loving shrubs and hard, alkaline water can make their maintenance a nightmare. Satsuki are pretty sun tolerant but prefer their sun with higher relative humidity... not sure what the climate is out your way other then HOT but that's something to look at.

ahh yes that might be a problem id say, i need to check my waters ph to be sure but my water leaves alot of white residue? idk if that means anything but yes its really hot here with low humidity, maybe 20% 30

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve had the same problem this year as well with two of my azaleas that are in shallow pots. The two azaleas I have in satsuki pots are still flawless. I don’t think it’s pathogens but just in case it won’t hurt to apply daconil. If azaleas get even the slightest amount of drying out certain cultivars will respond negatively. It’s a fine line between moist and too wet but something everyone has to learn. Just be spot on with your watering.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ahh yes that might be a problem id say, i need to check my waters ph to be sure but my water leaves alot of white residue? idk if that means anything but yes its really hot here with low humidity, maybe 20% 30
That's mineral deposits... most likely very hard and alkaline.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
t
I’ve had the same problem this year as well with two of my azaleas that are in shallow pots. The two azaleas I have in satsuki pots are still flawless. I don’t think it’s pathogens but just in case it won’t hurt to apply daconil. If azaleas get even the slightest amount of drying out certain cultivars will respond negatively. It’s a fine line between moist and too wet but something everyone has to learn. Just be spot on with your watering.

thanks bro yeah its all a learning process rn im glad they were cheap hahaah

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Humidity was 56% yesterday. Looks like fungus to me.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ahh , and with fungul problems its only best to put something down for it before the problem occurs correct? too late obviously now,bit like you explained in your demo at the meet?
Never too late. I treat for fungus year round. Alternate daconil and copper monthly. It is too late for the leaves that are showing, and they will never heal, just remove them. Not too late for the next leaves. Diligence.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do not do well here. Trying to keep them is a pipe dream.

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Pipe dream'?
A 'pipe dream' is an unrealistic hope or fantasy.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Pipe dream'?
pipe dream

The phrase 'pipe dream' is an allusion to the dreams experienced by smokers of opium pipes.

Opiates were widely used by the English literati in the 18th and 19th centuries. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was one of the best known users, and it would be difficult to claim that the imagery in surreal works like Kubla Khanowed nothing to opium. Lewis Carroll, although not known to be an opium user himself, makes clear allusions to drug use in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has his hero Sherlock Holmes visit an opium den - although that was for research rather than consumption.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Pipe dream'?
A 'pipe dream' is an unrealistic hope or fantasy.

What's the origin of the phrase 'Pipe dream'?
pipe dream

The phrase 'pipe dream' is an allusion to the dreams experienced by smokers of opium pipes.

Opiates were widely used by the English literati in the 18th and 19th centuries. Samuel Taylor Coleridge was one of the best known users, and it would be difficult to claim that the imagery in surreal works like Kubla Khanowed nothing to opium. Lewis Carroll, although not known to be an opium user himself, makes clear allusions to drug use in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has his hero Sherlock Holmes visit an opium den - although that was for research rather than consumption.
I was pretty sure they didn’t do well there... glad you confirmed it.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When you do apply fungicides, bear in mind that many, especially those containing copper, are phytotoxic when applied at high temperatures [80 degrees and above]. I know of three dead cherry trees that can attest to this.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

I would have thought Fresno would be similar enough to Sacramento and the north valley for them to thrive there, too. I've heard that Mr. Maruyama specifically chose Sac for the favorable azalea climate.

Too dry further south?

Top Bottom