Help! Schefflera Aboricola

LttntLark

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9C
I've had this poor tree for the past 5 months and so much has happened with it (broken branches and such) that I just want to restart it. Is there a place I can safely cut to ensure a good growth point on the main stem?

LttntLark

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9C

Attachments

• 20220414_112020.jpg
    20220414_112020.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 47

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A healthy, vigorously growing Schefflera can be chopped back to the stump.

I wouldn't do anything until yours has a chance to build up more health and vigor.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what’s going on with the pot(ting)? is that potting soil? so confused

LttntLark

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9C
what’s going on with the pot(ting)? is that potting soil? so confused
Good question, I received it like this. It had root issues in the original soil so it was changed

LttntLark

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9C
A healthy, vigorously growing Schefflera can be chopped back to the stump.

I wouldn't do anything until yours has a chance to build up more health and vigor.
It has been making leaves at the top nonstop, but the shape is lost since so many branches were broken

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has been making leaves at the top nonstop, but the shape is lost since so many branches were broken

Give it a month or two to charge back up. During that time, watch the branch tips closely. Learn how the bud out new leaves. You should be able to start identifying exactly where the next leaf on the branch tip will form.

After a month or more when you can see the new buds as they form, then you can start pinching them out. Pinching the branch tip buds will force the tree to resort to growing buds further back in order to continue to grow. This will give you new branches to work with and it will start to bush the tree out.

Do that for a year or two and you'll have a lot more options and an older looking trunk.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so what’s it look like now? what are the conditions where you keep it?

they root from cutting super easy though it already looks pretty cut back.. gain vigor then..

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It already looks like you have started over.
let it grow now. Look up different styles with this species. It does look like the pot is half way full of soil. Go ahead and fill it.
If you want to use a bonsai soil - I use lava, pine bark, and turface as a tropical soil mix.
But you can add in pumice or chicken grit (which is granite pieces too.)
if you have a spot outside in summer it will grow quickly.

Top Bottom