• None of the above

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I considered #2 for the reasons Adair stated.
Re-considered because of the smallest trunk growing back across the largest trunk.
And what johng mentioned about new buds. If they end up in useable areas.
Just worrying about two trunks would be enough for me!
Like that dead wood though!!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I personally like #2 for the movement in the trunks. Though I would have to see first hand. That third trunk crossing over bugs me a tad. If another angle could work better.

Though #4 is runner up...that dead wood/Shari draws me in.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you want a multi- trunk 1 or 2 are best.

For a "specimen" single, 4 or 6.

I think you could have gone bigger personally. I have two- one John dug and one I dug with him... They are MASSIVE, dig honking bases, good taper and they just get better with age/ size. They are HEAVY AS HELL though! Man.. You shoulda seen me struggling to get that sum itch out of the swamp... Tromping through mud with a 75 Lb tree on your shoulders is WORK! I whined the whole time, but man I want to go back so bad now!

My point is, these will need to be chopped low and grown back out- a couple times probably- to get a real impressive specimen from any individual tree here. Probably have to go with a multi- trunk arrangement.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you want a multi- trunk 1 or 2 are best.

For a "specimen" single, 4 or 6.

I think you could have gone bigger personally. I have two- one John dug and one I dug with him... They are MASSIVE, dig honking bases, good taper and they just get better with age/ size. They are HEAVY AS HELL though! Man.. You shoulda seen me struggling to get that sum itch out of the swamp... Tromping through mud with a 75 Lb tree on your shoulders is WORK! I whined the whole time, but man I want to go back so bad now!

My point is, these will need to be chopped low and grown back out- a couple times probably- to get a real impressive specimen from any individual tree here. Probably have to go with a multi- trunk arrangement.

I know who to invite the on the next trip. There were plenty of big one's I'd love for you to carry out of the swamp for me. Thanks for volunteering!

Scott

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know who to invite the on the next trip. There were plenty of big one's I'd love for you to carry out of the swamp for me. Thanks for volunteering!

Scott
Yeah... You should invite John! He made me look like a pansy! LOL

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good idea - between the two of you, I suppose you could lug a 150 pound tree through the swamp for me. I'll provide a lot of words of encouragement.

- Scott
Throw in a plane ticket and a 6 pack and I will certainly lug a tree out the swamp for ya! :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
2 for me too, from the second side. I might even go for just the single trunk from this side, although I do like multi trunk trees.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Yeah... You should invite John! He made me look like a pansy! LOL

While he had a little match stick of a water elm...6-8" base maybe?? I carried out a BC that was 24" across and my only complaint was that I had to listen to "someone" snivel the whole way about how hard and hot it was:)

I guess I will take you again but we may need Al's thong to muffle the whining:) Have you seen the rivers lately?? With all the rain we have had I suspect collecting will be curtailed for a year or two at least. I would guess there is at least 4' of water now in the place I took you.

I also think Water Elm seedlings can make great material...maybe 3-4 years after collecting and going straight into a forest planting....they like wet feet but you don't have to keep them in water, just don't ever let them dry out!
IMG_1438.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
While he had a little match stick of a water elm...6-8" base maybe?? I carried out a BC that was 24" across and my only complaint was that I had to listen to "someone" snivel the whole way about how hard and hot it was:)

I guess I will take you again but we may need Al's thong to muffle the whining:) Have you seen the rivers lately?? With all the rain we have had I suspect collecting will be curtailed for a year or two at least. I would guess there is at least 4' of water now in the place I took you.

I also think Water Elm seedlings can make great material...maybe 3-4 years after collecting and going straight into a forest planting....they like wet feet but you don't have to keep them in water, just don't ever let them dry out!
IMG_1438.JPG

Nice forest John.

Scott

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Before checking the comments, I picked #2. I'm glad I shared the same thoughts with some great minds;)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

IMG_1438.JPG
Well... to be honest, you complained about the crappy trash bags I brought too! LOL

I am sure you are right about the water, and with TONS of precipitation forecast for the remaining winter, it may be hard to get back out there this year. Still, it would be fun to take a trip and see!

I can get a new saw, do some cardio between now and then... Bring about 5 gallons of water... We will be good to go!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Understanding that I know nothing about Water Elms, tree 2 if you plan on keeping a lot of the trunks. Tree 4 if your chop will be more aggressive.

Random User

Reaction score
Looks good. I looked at a number of pictures on the net about these plants and they "tend" to be quite a mess particularly when they are young... do you always have to rub off suckers from the baseline?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks good. I looked at a number of pictures on the net about these plants and they "tend" to be quite a mess particularly when they are young... do you always have to rub off suckers from the baseline?

Hi SK. I'm relatively inexperienced with these - Zach Smith has been growing them for many years. I did not prune anything on this all year and did not observe that much sucker growth. From what I've seen, it'll be fairly easy to develop branches and ramification, but they appear to suffer a bit from die back and don't appear to callous over as well as other deciduous plants I've worked with.

Scott

Top Bottom