Help: shrub trunk?

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So my work chopped down some very large juniper shrubs very recently I just walked in and they were completely butchered. I know groundskeeper and I might possibly be able to get him to dig a trunk out for me with skid steer my question is are they even worth the effort or has too much been removed, wrong time or whatever? I just don’t wanna go through all the work of trying to get them and have an impossibly low probability of success.

yes they had, good reason (prefer not to disclose) to remove. I was really sad to see them gone.

Also any additional information would be helpful. Only started this as a hobby last year.

I honestly don’t know if it’s a rocky mountain Juniper or a eastern red cedar… I’m thinking the middle one would be the best one if I was to use any of them but I don’t know maybe I’m wrong.

Attachments

• B0A354D2-0710-475D-BED7-A020C97B0A5A.jpeg
    B0A354D2-0710-475D-BED7-A020C97B0A5A.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
If the branches in the foreground are juniper I'd say it is already dead as there's no sign of foliage. If the stumps in the background are the junipers I'm pretty confident they will also be dead pretty soon.
Some species are quite happy to sprout new shoots from bare stumps but junipers seem to rely heavily on foliage to stay alive. Pruning way back to bare wood and not leaving any green is a recipe for disaster.
There's always a faint chance one will survive but I would not bother unless there's more than I can see in the photo.

BTW much of what we do and when we do it is determined by location. You'll get much better advice if you update your personal profile to include a locality or at very least a state to give others a clue to what the weather and seasons may be like.

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If the branches in the foreground are juniper I'd say it is already dead as there's no sign of foliage. If the stumps in the background are the junipers I'm pretty confident they will also be dead pretty soon.
Some species are quite happy to sprout new shoots from bare stumps but junipers seem to rely heavily on foliage to stay alive. Pruning way back to bare wood and not leaving any green is a recipe for disaster.
There's always a faint chance one will survive but I would not bother unless there's more than I can see in the photo.

BTW much of what we do and when we do it is determined by location. You'll get much better advice if you update your personal profile to include a locality or at very least a state to give others a clue to what the weather and seasons may be like.
Thanks, I won’t bother with them then, I will update my profile later I’m in Iowa-zone five. I kind of wish I knew they were going to do this. I would said if they let me take one, I could of easily went in with a Reciprocating saw and a shovel and got it out myself.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
You could try to salvage the stumps to make tanukis or something like that but probably dont worth the effort

Top Bottom