Help: Sick Dappled Willow

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sick Dappled Willow multiple possible causes help defining exactly where I went wrong.

Bug infestation on my TikTok, maybe over fertilization, Pot was a little small, I used pine bark and gravel in beginning figured make for a very way repot, dog may have pee’d on tree a time or two, 100 degree days. I did water every 95+ Morning and evening. All my other trees are fine but different trees and circumstances. All these are possible causes for what has happened.

I will post a picture also maybe somebody more experience than me can diagnose what exactly went wrong.

Backstory: I had tons of buds to begin with, but I pulled most of them off early and only panned to create three secondary limbs off trunk. The tree was doing very well for a while but I first noticed a little stem died first, and then I had tried to put a copper wire on the second one just to try to support it a little better it wasn’t very tight it was more just to keep the wind from breaking it. I kind of wondered if it overheated but now the final branch is dying. I did an emergency re-pot this time using a mixture Sand peat moss and pearlite I filtered out as much of the fine particles as I could. I had posted earlier about this specific tree when I first made cutting which did root.

Picture is of after emergency report. I had no intention of messing with this tree until fall.

I’m hoping my tree will rebound, but if nothing else hopefully I can make this a learning experience.

Attachments

• 6E895DF5-E6B9-4BA0-8254-7EBC4E5940B5.jpeg
    6E895DF5-E6B9-4BA0-8254-7EBC4E5940B5.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 1E783F58-762F-4CED-B1FC-583CE197A8D4.jpeg
    1E783F58-762F-4CED-B1FC-583CE197A8D4.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My corkscrew willow cuttings did the same thing this year when it went from 65 to 90. Most of their new growth wilted away until they were back to a stick in a pot. A majority of them came back with water and a little shade. I think since I had them in black nursery pots in the sun that the new roots got cooked.

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My corkscrew willow cuttings did the same thing this year when it went from 65 to 90. Most of their new growth wilted away until they were back to a stick in a pot. A majority of them came back with water and a little shade. I think since I had them in black nursery pots in the sun that the new roots got cooked.
Dang good point, But my Sandcherry cuttings are doing just fine it looks like but yeah I might wrap a piece of white cloth around the pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang good point, But my Sandcherry cuttings are doing just fine it looks like but yeah I might wrap a piece of white cloth around the pot.
I’m not positive that’s what happened, but when I put a shade cloth up and kept them soaked, they came back strong.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I pulled most of them off early
Big mistake. When doing anything this drastic, you need just leave the tree alone and let it recover rather than causing additional stress.

I did an emergency re-pot this time
Did you ever consider just sticking it in a tub of water and letting it do its thing? It seems to me like it was too dry.

But unfortunately, in my experience, hakuro nikishi is more delicate and not as vigorous as other willow species, so I sense danger with those pics.

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Big mistake. When doing anything this drastic, you need just leave the tree alone and let it recover rather than causing additional stress.

Did you ever consider just sticking it in a tub of water and letting it do its thing? It seems to me like it was too dry.

But unfortunately, in my experience, hakuro nikishi is more delicate and not as vigorous as other willow species, so I sense danger with those pics.
Thanks, if it does die it will be an unfortunate learning experience. I should of asked before I acted.

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

IMG_5749.jpg Well, I refuse to give up on this shrub, even though I failed twice before! Well bought a Brand new Dappled Willow from Bomgaars today. I'm using 12 Mo Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed II Granules I'm using less than recommended dosage atm in those tea bags. I lost most of the growth on my starter trees to deer I wasn't aware they even ate trees until I found out firsthand. Has some brown leaves but I figure it should clear up on its own. I got this Sapling in a 10-gallon Air Pruning pot atm with a 1/3 sand 1.5/3 potting mix and .5/3 pine bark.

Any recommendations to save me from losing another Dappled Willow, I've been advised against this tree multiple times but I like it too much to give up.​

Attachments

• IMG_5750.jpg
    IMG_5750.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5752.jpg
    IMG_5752.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 9

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

View attachment 485335 Well, I refuse to give up on this shrub, even though I failed twice before! Well bought a Brand new Dappled Willow from Bomgaars today. I'm using 12 Mo Tree & Shrub Protect & Feed II Granules I'm using less than recommended dosage atm in those tea bags. I lost most of the growth on my starter trees to deer I wasn't aware they even ate trees until I found out firsthand. Has some brown leaves but I figure it should clear up on its own. I got this Sapling in a 10-gallon Air Pruning pot atm with a 1/3 sand 1.5/3 potting mix and .5/3 pine bark.

Any recommendations to save me from losing another Dappled Willow, I've been advised against this tree multiple times but I like it too much to give up.​

Also, I didn't remove any of the original soil from the pot, didn't feel the need. I figured why add any additional stress to it already been through enough this year with 2nd move and whatever they did to it at Bomgaars.

Top Bottom