Help! Something is wrong with my bonsai!

Joonie

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't tell from the pictures...but try and get a positive ID on the critters. Some critters can live in the soil even if they prefer living on/under the foliage. Treating just the foliage if it's that type isn't good enough.

Also, I at least see a cacti and another pot close by in your pictures. You need to treat them too. Depending on the critter, the cacti may be too thick skinned to be lunch...but the needles could harbor nests.
I’ll definitely spray the soil then as well as the littles
Do you know what they were when you treated it before? Did you treat all the neighboring plants at that time as well?

It could be a re-infestation from a nearby neighbor if everything wasn't treated with a strict regimen :(
i did monthly preventative treatments, i think it happened when I moved in

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It browned up, in that case should I also look into a humidity tray along with a light?

Personally, I would not try and keep moss on a tree kept indoors. I do...but I really shouldn't :(

Moss can complicate watering...especially indoors. If it's dry or dormant, a thick matt of moss can direct the water out to the edges...the water has a hard time seeping _through_ the moss as you think it is. It may _look_ like it's seeping through, but it's running through the top layers of the matt to the edges...almost guaranteed :( If it's active, the water can seep through...but the moss can often keep the soil too wet then. Either way, it hides what is going on in the soil which can make it all the harder to identify issues early :(

Outside, these issues still apply, but my habit is to over water so the water shedding isn't as much of a concern for me...and I usually have to mulch my trees in some way to protect from our heat and drying winds anyway...may as well be moss as anything else.

Joonie

Seedling
Reaction score
That totally makes sense! I had noticed the water running out to the sides instead of absorbing like It used to. How can I fix this?

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That totally makes sense! I had noticed the water running out to the sides instead of absorbing like It used to. How can I fix this?
Mist the surface really well before watering. The water runs off due to the surface tension of water. Misting helps prevent that.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep moss on my trees during when I bring them inside. But, I keep all of mine in a grow tent so I have a lot of control over the humidity.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good Eye @LittleDingus .

Welcome to Crazy!

Your problem is definitely 90% scale.

You may lose 5% in winter indoors, but trying to gain that back will just kill it sure. There is nothing wrong with the soil, except maybe the raking. Friggin study.

Pick the scale off. Spraying will probably kill it too. Put centipedes in the soil to eat the crawler stages. 💯.

Save the chemicals for after study time.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good Eye @LittleDingus .

Welcome to Crazy!

Your problem is definitely 90% scale.

You may lose 5% in winter indoors, but trying to gain that back will just kill it sure. There is nothing wrong with the soil, except maybe the raking. Friggin study.

Pick the scale off. Spraying will probably kill it too. Put centipedes in the soil to eat the crawler stages. 💯.

Save the chemicals for after study time.

Sorce
Nope. Scale is a symptom of a weakened plant. They are not the cause. The underlying issue with this plant is where it being kept and watering.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nope. Scale is a symptom of a weakened plant. They are not the cause. The underlying issue with this plant is where it being kept and watering.
I was thinking the same. The tree may have scale but I would wager that the tree was weakened before the scale arrived.

Joonie

Seedling
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. The tree may have scale but I would wager that the tree was weakened before the scale arrived.
So In order to correct the issues I should get a light and treat for critters? Anything else I should watch for?

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So In order to correct the issues I should get a light and treat for critters? Anything else I should watch for?
Make sure you’re watering thoroughly and letting the soil dry out (not bone dry, but the top should be good and dry) before watering again.
With the running off issue you’re having, you might try watering from the bottom via placing the pot in a pan of water and allowing it to soak up the water. If you’re misting the top of the soil and you’re still having run-off then your soil isn’t draining well. So it’s likely not getting enough water soaking in.
With the move, it may have dried out too much - when compacted soil dries out too far it can be difficult to rehydrate it through typical watering practices.You may not be getting an even soaking watering from above. I wouldn’t be surprised if the center of your soil was dry.

Lots of light (LED)
Watch out for critters.
Soak it.
Wait for it to dry.
Soak it.
Repeat.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Would neem oil work or should it be a soap solution? (I have no opinion, am trying to learn as I read.)

Also, if the soil is compacted does he have to wait until spring to repot? ...after getting the creatures under control.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would neem oil work or should it be a soap solution? (I have no opinion, am trying to learn as I read.)

Also, if the soil is compacted does he have to wait until spring to repot? ...after getting the creatures under control.
I’ve never tried neem oil, soap and water has always worked for me so I’ve not needed to explore other options.
Time of repotting is dependent on the species. Most Ficus species are able to be repotted at any time of year as long as it’s kept inder the right conditions. They’re different than, say, a Japanese maple which is very much dependent on the seasons. Ficus species grow year round. So as long as they have enough light, humidity, and warmth, they can be repotted regardless of the time of year.
I don’t have any experience with the particular species that this thread is focusing on but I’ve repotted benjamina, microcarpa, and several other Ficus species whenever I get around to them.
With this specific tree I don’t think repotting would help. If you aren’t able to create the appropriate conditions indoors it is best to wait until summer to repot a ficus*.
Edit: *if the tree it able to be kept outdoors.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

You're right. I just think this has gone full into the scale is the problem now, truth, I didn't even look at the soil!

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The soil looks rock hard to me. That's why I wondered when he could repot after killing the creatures and creating a better environment with light and humidity.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just realized that this whole time I thought this was a Natal Ficus lol
My bad - Natal Plum.
Wow.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've overwintered a few indoors for years. They do fine under decent grow lights. I've never had a pest problem with them.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Yes neem oil is a good treatment for scale. However it has a pretty nasty smell so I would not use it on a tree that is or will be inside.

Top Bottom