Help:Squirrels

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Squirrels are digging in my newly planted trees. They are also knocking trees off of the shelves. Any (humane) ideas?

I am thinking a bird feeder placed away from the trees. But I think this would just invite more squirrels.

I'm open for suggestions.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Squirrels terrorize my trees and yard , it's getting pretty bad, with that said I have have found no humane ways to deter them, again in my yard. Good luck is all I can say , I use a 5 gallon bucket with the surface covered in acorns , or traps and release far away. You can try pellet gun haha

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've come to the wrong place if you're looking for a peaceful solution ;-). The best way to stop them is to kill them, or trap them and truck them 40 miles away and let them loose (which is just another way to kill them and salve your guilt--they won't last long in a foreign territory with other unfamiliar, competitive squirrels).

Seriously, squirrels, mice and chipmunks are problems for just about everyone with trees outside.

Best solution I've come up with is to work with very large trees that can't be knocked off shelves and have considerable soil volume in their pots.

The smaller the tree, the more damage is done. The less soil there is, the quicker it is all dug out.

The soil you use can make some difference. Sharp particles, like crushed granite, and pumice can cut and abrade their paws. Sometimes they will avoid soil with those components.

Mostly though, they get used to it, just like they get used to all kinds of deterrent tricks, like fake plastic owls, shiny aluminum pie pans tied to stakes to wave in the wind, water sprinklers on motion detectors, etc.

Good luck.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Kind of figured not many peaceful solutions. I'll get rough if I have to. I was just hoping somebody had a magic wand.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Kind of figured not many peaceful solutions. I'll get rough if I have to. I was just hoping somebody had a magic wand.
I have tons of squirrels, but the copious birds at my place are more of a problem for me, as mentioned by @rockm, they (birds & squirrels) seem much more attracted to organic soil, my DE and other inorganic pots are better off.
I tried the reflective discs hanging around the deck last year, I put them up mid summer, and they seemed to help.
But that was the first year, I expect the critters to get used to them this year....
Need more pellets for my crossman.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Get an outdoor cat or 2 or 3 (be sure to spay/neuter).

They are looking for food. What are they digging for in your soil? Find and eliminate that and you may solve your issue (probably not entirely).

Relocating wild animals is a misdemeanor in most states. It is illegal to move a nuisance from your property to someone else's property. Don't go to jail saving a squirrel....

One year I used a different cut paste. It attracted squirrels and they chewed on everything that had cut paste on it. They destroyed many of my trees. I experienced high dollar losses. It was a disaster. I live in a large wooded area with tons of squirrels. I had to reestablish the pecking order. They now understand and leave my stuff alone, mostly, and when they don't I introduce them to my Gamo Silent Cat.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
They're just rooting around. Food is probably pretty scarce this time of year. I'm thinking maybe weed fabric over the soil. Then I don't have to worry about weeds either. Just my seedlings getting dumped will be an issue.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good solution at my old place was a bird feeder at the other end of the yard. Kept them away from the trees because they had easy access to the bird seed buffet.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have several dozen squirrels at my place, and lots of feeders for the birds. I let the squirrels have at those, and they leave other stuff alone. Chipmunks are worse for me, as they want to bury their food in the pots. I have found that putting bird netting over the soil stops that. They don't like getting their feet caught in the net. If you make it long enough you can stick the edges under the pot, and they can't get under it either.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get an outdoor cat or 2 or 3 (be sure to spay/neuter).

They are looking for food. What are they digging for in your soil? Find and eliminate that and you may solve your issue (probably not entirely).

Relocating wild animals is a misdemeanor in most states. It is illegal to move a nuisance from your property to someone else's property. Don't go to jail saving a squirrel....

One year I used a different cut paste. It attracted squirrels and they chewed on everything that had cut paste on it. They destroyed many of my trees. I experienced high dollar losses. It was a disaster. I live in a large wooded area with tons of squirrels. I had to reestablish the pecking order. They now understand and leave my stuff alone, mostly, and when they don't I introduce them to my Gamo Silent Cat.
Ha! Saw a cat get pretty torn up by one of our resident squirrels. Big bore terriers are MUCH better at scaring the living crap out of them--just don't let the dog go too far, ;-). I have found that squirrels here aren't looking for anything in the soil, rather they're putting stuff like acorns and nuts INTO it...Birds are another story though.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah! Get a real beast cat!
They can get the birds too!
I had a cat like that in my childhood.
Watched it take birds from our pear tree as a kid, he'd jump from the top of our swing set, into the tree, and come down in a flurry of feathers flying!
He'd kill rabbits, which impressed me the most, the rabbits are super fast.
He'd get squirrels too....mice, large bufferflies, all types of stuff...
Kept the house in check, never saw a mouse inside for 20 years.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had them shred bark on a couple trees besides tearing up the soil

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes they will randomly take bites out of trunks , chewed all the bark off my cork elm , killed an old flowering pear by chewing all the roots up, they seem to stick to the deciduous trees , recently saw they've gotten into the cold greenhouse and chewed two branches off from my old japanese Quince. , and so on so on...

These kinds of offenses are punishable by death around here !

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I buy birdseed from Wild Birds Unlimited: Heat Meat. Shelled sunflower seeds liberally dusted with cayenne. Stops mammals cold (pun intended). That's the only way I have to keep raccoons from eating the bird seed. The cats help, but they can do only so much against a large raccoon.
This season I'm going to try dusting my fertilizer teabags with cayenne to keep the chipmunks from taking them off to snack on.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I've used Cayenne pepper successfully to deter squirrels in Fall / Winter from surface digging. It would likely work in Spring and Summer, but heavy rain washes it away eventually. Costco size canister did the job. Dust surface of pots with a bunch, and they will not enjoy it.

I've heard it works for fertilizer balls too, but haven't tried it yet.

Top Bottom