Help this newbie decide

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What would you all suggest to do?

I have two rhododendrons they are over 21 years old. I would like to make into bonsai. A couple of years ago my wife got sick of them being over grown with lots of birds and chopped them down to the ground with the hope of getting rid of them and planting something else that's less invasive. I agree that these plants should not be near the house. As you can see the rododendrons have a good canopy that produces lots of pink flowers. The bumble bees love it. :)
The new growth has been growing for 2 years and sprouted rapily. The pics may or may not show what you need to know about its trunk size.
II could prune the leaves of it so you could see the trunk? Or I could dig the front small one to let the others grow and maybe chop it back again? Should I prune the branches and go for a cutting? Air layering instead? And try to grow it right? Or should I let it grow in ground instead of a pot? it has flower buds that are started from last year. Or should I wait till it flowers? Small plant I don't care if it's removed with flowers the buds for this year. Should I prune it and wait on its grouwth next year?
TIA for your help!
Jerry

Attachments

• 20170416_123708.jpg
    20170416_123708.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170416_123716.jpg
    20170416_123716.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170416_123744.jpg
    20170416_123744.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170416_124207.jpg
    20170416_124207.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 52

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My mother has a very nice azalea that I plan on air layering or cutting after it flowers.

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Now a dwarf rhododendron or an azalea would work...but the leaves on these that you speak of are HUGE...Not very good material to choose for bonsai.

I beg to differ though.JMHO. isn't bonsai suppose to be root pruning, and def0liation of leaves to control a trees growth. Every time the leaves get pruned don't they get smaller?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I beg to differ though.JMHO. isn't bonsai suppose to be root pruning, and def0liation of leaves to control a trees growth. Every time the leaves get pruned don't they get smaller?
Well, there you have it. Good luck with that. Not all species reduce leaves...you have to choose one that is adaptable to bonsai techniques.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azaleas are not the best choice for the bonsai beginner. They have special horticultural needs that differ from those of most other species. You can certainly succeed with them (or rhododendrons), but you may also become frustrated when they don't behave the way you think they will or should.

The bonsai artist utilizes root-pruning and defoliation to achieve certain objectives in perfecting his or her trees. It is not correct to say that every time the leaves get pruned, they get smaller. If your timing is off, they'll get larger. And it's not something you're going to go out and do multiple times each year. Defoliation is an intermediate to advanced bonsai technique, which you may have difficulty mastering at your stage on the learning curve.

Good luck on your bonsai journey!

Zach

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When .you go to the Depot...

They have the small leaf azalea and the big leaf rhodendron.

I don't even look at those big leaf ones,
And stopped trying the other Too for .what Zach said.

Sorce

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Azaleas are not the best choice for the bonsai beginner. They have special horticultural needs that differ from those of most other species. You can certainly succeed with them (or rhododendrons), but you may also become frustrated when they don't behave the way you think they will or should.

The bonsai artist utilizes root-pruning and defoliation to achieve certain objectives in perfecting his or her trees. It is not correct to say that every time the leaves get pruned, they get smaller. If your timing is off, they'll get larger. And it's not something you're going to go out and do multiple times each year. Defoliation is an intermediate to advanced bonsai technique, which you may have difficulty mastering at your stage on the learning curve.

Zach
Thanks for explaining it to me, so I can learn!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Agreed with all above...
Don't waste your time with that type of rhody.
The leaves won't reduce, and the flower clusters are humongous.
I have a couple like that in the garden, the flowers come out in groups of up to 10 per bud, and the clusters are larger than most of my trees.

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I agree, the bud clusters are big. I won't make them into bonsai.

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Which you may have difficulty mastering at your stage on the learning curve.

Zach[/QUOTE]
Azaleas are not the best choice for the bonsai beginner. ck on your bonsai journey!

Zach
When .you go to the Depot...

They have the small leaf azalea and the big leaf rhodendron.

I don't even look at those big leaf ones,
And stopped trying the other Too for .what Zach said.

Sorce

Zach

I'm taking a step backwards and not rushing bonsai. I have you all to thank. Especially Zack said to reel me in. After his post I did research on my mallsai and discovered this guide for my tree...

http://www.bonsai-made-easy.com/bonsaiginsengficus.html

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your Ginseng Ficus is actually Ficus Microcarpa.

Here is a few articles that will tell you a lot (so I don't have to type too much :) ) regarding your Ginseng Ficus:

https://adamaskwhy.com/2013/04/07/what-shall-you-do-with-a-ginseng-ficus/

https://adamaskwhy.com/2014/09/24/t...fu-about-them-not-being-good-bonsai-subjects/

Adam knows most everything needed to know about Ficus.

I suggest you spend some good time on his blog.

Welcome to the forum!!!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Figs in Florida may as well be another species from growing conditions/figs in New Hampshire. Adjust accordingly.:D

Obviously!!!!! :)

Hopefully the OP knows the affects of climate!!!! I think they do :)

Either way a great wealth of info on Adams blog, no?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That's not really how it works. You'll never be able to reduce the leaf size to anything remotely close to usable as bonsai material.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously!!!!! :)

Hopefully the OP knows the affects of climate!!!! I think they do :)

Either way a great wealth of info on Adams blog, no?

Lots of info, for sure. He does seem to defoliate/repot all in one go. Not something I would do here. It will grow, but as it starts to really grow, it's time to go indoors. Seven months? Not good.
No criticism here, just less experienced folks need to be reminded that certain approaches are only suitable in an appropriate climate.
I do like how Adam does try to slip some "comedy" in, here and there....don't need to be a "tree nerd" ALL the time!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@LanceMac10

I do take for granted that a lot is pre known. So cheers!

Yes Adam is a character. His videos are something else. He is corny but sometimes funny. Very crazy approach as well.

Down here we do get away with a lot. The climate is like steroids for trees. :p

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Here is a few articles that will tell you a lot (so I don't have to type too much :) ) regarding your Ginseng Ficus:

https://adamaskwhy.com/2014/09/24/t...fu-about-them-not-being-good-bonsai-subjects/

Welcome to the forum!!!
Thanks for the info. I'll be checking Adams site out. Thanks for the welcome!

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Welcome to the forum!!!

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, is it Adam Levine who starts play the guitar on YouTube sensation. He is funny. He is third on the videos I watch

I really like Nigel Saunders of KW BONSAI :
He explains it well.
https://youtu.be/VDjXc61Tqo8
This is Paul from Orlando Bonsai tv who explains it even better than Nigel, two different styles:
I've been watching their videos since last fall.
II do understand zone differences between where we live. I'm also new to this four ourfigs.com because of my Ginseng fig.

Top Bottom