Help to identify and diagnose a new bonsai

Reaction score
Hello. I got a bonsai two months ago, and I am learning the hard way the Spanish saying:"only someone who hates you will give you a Bonsai." Could anyone help me to identify what kind of tree is mine based on the attached picture, and what thing is missing to recover its original robustness and greenery? :confused:

Also, this bonsai lives indoor in Barcelona, Spain, and gets stable office temperature and never direct sunlight. I tend to overfertilize it with NPK and used to water it daily... Suggestions?

Many many thanks!:)

Attachments

• DSC_0792.jpg
    DSC_0792.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 104

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did the leaves always look like that? Hard to tell from pics, but my guess is some sort of ficus.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honest it looks like it needs LIGHT. I agree it looks like a tropical so water regularly but do not keep it wet. Again, I am pretty certain it needs Sun Light... Also another closer picture would help to Identify it more precisely :)

Grimmy

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello. I got a bonsai two months ago, and I am learning the hard way the Spanish saying:"only someone who hates you will give you a Bonsai." Could anyone help me to identify what kind of tree is mine based on the attached picture, and what thing is missing to recover its original robustness and greenery? :confused:

Also, this bonsai lives indoor in Barcelona, Spain, and gets stable office temperature and never direct sunlight. I tend to overfertilize it with NPK and used to water it daily... Suggestions?

Many many thanks!:)
Hard to ID with the wilted leaves...and honestly, it could be a local tree to you that I may not know.

Most trees deteriorate inside. Lack of light and humidity is the usual culprit. Office buildings with the HVAC system sucks out humidity which is really bad for your tree.

Note that more trees die due to over watering than the reverse. Same is true with fertilizer.

Not sure about your local weather but it is best to be outside and get partial sun. Water only when needed and hold off the fertilizer until it is vigorously growing.

Good luck!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Not sure about your local weather but it is best to be outside and get partial sun. Water only when needed and hold off the fertilizer until it is vigorously growing.

I wouldn't say this tree needs to go outside before we determine what it is. It could very well be a tropical and outdoors in Spain may not be the way to go right now.

Close up pictures of the leaves would help tremendously.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I wouldn't say this tree needs to go outside before we determine what it is. It could very well be a tropical and outdoors in Spain may not be the way to go right now.

I didn't either...I said depending on his weather.

Which trees do you know are naturally grown inside? :confused:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
could be olive based on the color of the bottom sides of the leaves. Very hard to tell though

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Corokia. Cotoneaster

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I didn't either...I said depending on his weather.

Which trees do you know are naturally grown inside? :confused:

None, and I didn't say that there were any that grew indoors. You just said that you didn't know about his local weather and that it would be best that the tree would go outdoors. Just saying that we shouldn't go around saying whether or not it should be indoors for now or not until we find out what species it is.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree...until a proper diagnosis...one would not wish to put this outdoors as of yet. Closer photos of tree would be quite helpful. Because if it is a tropical...when I googled Spain weather it can get to the low 30's. For this week anyways.

Also...a stressed tree can get dried leaves. My bottlebrush was shipped to my house and all the leaves dried out and it looked dead. Knowing bonsai can stress...I wasn't overly concerned with the research it is an extremely hardy tree. And has new growth now and new branches. (Not saying this is the case but just another possibility)

Maybe find out where your friend purchased this tree. That may shed some light on it...a nursery or was it purchased online? Because some trees can be stressed even if you do everything right. Just from shipping...so maybe some specifics from the gift giver may shed light on where its been and how it got to the poster.

Also a tree with dried leaves that is stressed...does not need as much water as one with healthy leaves. This told to me when I did contact my bonsai nursery asking how long before I could expect new growth. Figuring it was under stress...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think they told me it's an olive tree... and I am also including a picture of the fertilizer I use and a closer look at its long somewhat twisted leaves...

It gets a lot of northern light from the window, but never direct sunlight.

Many thanks for any help. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0058b.jpg
    DSC_0058b.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 17

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Move it outside asap. Morning sun only at first then gradually increase to full day. Olive can take heat and cold down to 15*F (-9*C). Decrease watering.

Note that it could be too late already so do not blame this action if the tree dies.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Later will it take full day sun? wow... Ok, I just decided to bring it home to nurse it outside... Also decreasing watering... Crossing fingers. Thanks a lot.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Later will it take full day sun? wow... Ok, I just decided to bring it home to nurse it outside... Also decreasing watering... Crossing fingers. Thanks a lot.

I live in Texas, USA and my Olives are in full sun. FYI, we get lots of 100*F temps during summer here.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I think they told me it's an olive tree... and I am also including a picture of the fertilizer I use and a closer look at its long somewhat twisted leaves...

It gets a lot of northern light from the window, but never direct sunlight.

Many thanks for any help. :)

Yes it is definitely an olive

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would ones suggest not to fertilize it until it becomes healthier? I am believing a stressed tree shouldn't be fertilized.

I also am not giving up hope just yet...just knowing how long my bottlebrush showed signs of no life. Just be aware it won't use as much water while the leaves are like that. (Are the dry and brittle?) So keep that in mind if it seems like your not watering it often enough.

Curious...how often were you watering your tree? Were you on a schedule with it...or watered when dry?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would ones suggest not to fertilize it until it becomes healthier? I am believing a stressed tree shouldn't be fertilized.

I also am not giving up hope just yet...just knowing how long my bottlebrush showed signs of no life. Just be aware it won't use as much water while the leaves are like that. (Are the dry and brittle?) So keep that in mind if it seems like your not watering it often enough.

Curious...how often were you watering your tree?
Were you on a schedule with it...or watered when dry?
See below. ;)

...and used to water it daily...

Note that more trees die due to over watering than the reverse. Same is true with fertilizer.

... Water only when needed and hold off the fertilizer until it is vigorously growing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
See below. ;)

Thanks Dario...there in itself is most likely the major problem. I somehow missed that post of his. Hopefully...it will come out of it. Though...I am all for giving it extra time. Because I have read a number of things saying when a bonsai is stressed...the owner tosses it out and it isn't dead.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Dario...there in itself is most likely the major problem. I somehow missed that post of his. Hopefully...it will come out of it. Though...I am all for giving it extra time. Because I have read a number of things saying when a bonsai is stressed...the owner tosses it out and it isn't dead.

Good point. I hope he didn't take my advise as such.

Olives are survivors and they can take a lot. I have lots of cuttings I just threw on an empty pot, added several handful of dirt and they grew! :eek: Others were stuck in a pot (6 or so) and same thing happened. Some took longer than others but they eventually sprouted.

Unless this rotted due to over watering, it will most likely rebound.

Top Bottom