Help to identify this acacia

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Close to my job center I found this bush (1 meter high).

IMG_20210901_122904.jpg IMG_20210901_122853.jpg
2 months ago I took some seeds and growed them. I have had to prune twice in this time, because they grow very fast. Each time I prune, it produces 2 new flushes back.

IMG_20210902_184542.jpg IMG_20210902_184555.jpg

It has no thorns and white typical flowers.
I have been searching and it seems this plant family is veeeery wide. I have come to no conclusions about identification.
Maybe some experienced members can help to identify it...?

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Does not look quite right for any Australian Acacia I know and we have very few with white flowers anyway. As you say, it is a big family covering a number of continents. Maybe it is one of the African species?
A really clear pic of an entire leaf could help with ID. One of the features of Acacia is tiny glands (lumps) on the leaf stems but I can't make out that much detail in the pics you have posted.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does not look quite right for any Australian Acacia I know and we have very few with white flowers anyway. As you say, it is a big family covering a number of continents. Maybe it is one of the African species?
A really clear pic of an entire leaf could help with ID. One of the features of Acacia is tiny glands (lumps) on the leaf stems but I can't make out that much detail in the pics you have posted.
The leaves are so tiny, that my mobile fails to get a closer view. Hope this set of pics can help: PHOTOS

Last edited:

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The name acacia is now used for the Australian group instead of the African group that was identified by that name for thousands of years.
Acacia comes from ákis meaning "thorn" but is now used for trees without thorns.
Some people use the new definition of Acacia, others (like me) think it is stupid and and prefer it for the African species.

Because of this no-one knows what anybody means with the name Acacia.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The extra photos give a much better look at the leaves.
I still don't recognize the species but now even more confident it is not Australian.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it's very difficult.
I've been reserching this id for a couple of months now, and I have spent lot of hours trying to find it. This link (spanish) is the best I've found to help
But I know it's really not important to know the specific to grow it. So, let it be unknown, it will add some mistery to it!
Though the leaves are really tiny, the trunk in these is thin, and I don´t know yet if it will be suitable for a beautiful bonsai. If it turns to be a good candidate, I'll send free seeds on request.
Thanks for your efforts and comments!!!!

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The extra photos give a much better look at the leaves.
I still don't recognize the species but now even more confident it is not Australian.
My best guess was the australian Acacia Mearnsii (white flowers), but if you say it isn´t australian, I give up.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about Desmanthus Virgatus?
👏👏👏👏👏...Ahhh,this seems to be the answer. The google photos I've seen are very similar....Also an article found here makes it clear.
I really thought we would not be able to identify this, but Bonsainut is a powerful tool. Thank you very much Snorlax!!!!!

Last edited:

Snorlax99

Yamadori
Reaction score
My pleasure! All credit goes to the leafsnap app on my phone. Just gave it one of your foliage pics and it popped up right away

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess is Mimosa pudica.
Easiest way to verify that would be to touch the leaves :D

Pudica is also known as "sensitive plant" because the leaves close immediately when touched :) My aunt grew them in her garden when I was young. I have fond memories of trying to get every leaf on the plant closed before they started opening back up again :) I usually get a plant every spring from the local nursery for nostalgia and to pass on the wonder to the grandkids!

Also, pudica flowers are more pinkish...

Top Bottom