Help to identify this bonsai?

Theppy91

Seed
Reaction score
Hello guys, I’m pretty much new to the bonsai world and have been taking care of one little pre cotton Easter for some months but last week I got the opportunity to get this good looking pine bonsai (I think?) at a fair price so I went down with It. The guys from the store told me it has 5 years old but I highly doubt that.
would you guys chime in and tell me what species is this guy and if you could guess his age?
thanks so much in advance for your help.
C43E46AE-4A9B-4860-9D38-1649D7F2DC4A.jpeg40E84DF2-12B8-4669-A24A-3625B28D2189.jpeg

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks like a juniper, with scale foliage. Hard to tell the type of juniper from the photo

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like a pretty nice Itoigawa from my untrained eye. 5 years is probably not far off, may be older tbh.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a juniper and a pretty good one. BUT it's in crappy soil and looks extremely root bound. This tree, to me, looks like it was "uppotted" into a larger pot from a smaller one and backfilled with crummy bonsai soil (waaaay too much organic in that surrounding mix)..

If you bought it, I'd keep a very close eye on watering because it will be very difficult given the two-part mix--compacted inner soil and loose, wet outer soil around it...I would get it out of that dirt at the next repotting into an inorganic mix of pumice and fired clay (Haydite or something similar). I would also expect a mess of a compacted rootball at repotting.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun fact Cotoneaster isn't "cotton easter..." Took me a long while to discover that... 😁

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fairly certain that is the extremely common juniperus chinensis 'parsonii' or parson's juniper. Readily available at any box store that sells landscape. The trunks thicken rapidly and the foliage isn't horrible but it always seems to have some juvenile foliage on it. How old it is depends a lot on how much it grew each year and how big the cutting was when it was struck. These aren't grown from seed ever. If he said 5 years I'd believe him/her. No reason to tell someone it's younger than it is when age is a bonsai selling point

Theppy91

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help guys, very grateful!
I’m pretty new to this so any advice you can give me will MEAN the world.
My plan was to start with some little pre-bonsais but saw this one and couldn’t resist.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fairly certain that is the extremely common juniperus chinensis 'parsonii' or parson's juniper. Readily available at any box store that sells landscape. The trunks thicken rapidly and the foliage isn't horrible but it always seems to have some juvenile foliage on it. How old it is depends a lot on how much it grew each year and how big the cutting was when it was struck. These aren't grown from seed ever. If he said 5 years I'd believe him/her. No reason to tell someone it's younger than it is when age is a bonsai selling point
If it’s a parsons, someone has kept elongate foliage in check.

Top Bottom