Help to shape establi Juniperus virginiana

Leo Perkins

Seedling
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice on shaping an established Juniperus virginiana to a more practical size with a Bonsai feel.

I have recently moved into a new rental that had been vacant for over a year and the garden has been wild for even longer.

I needed to cut back this one because it was above the two story house with branches pushing into the windows.

Now I need to shape this. Ideally to a lower more bonsai feel.

My thinking is I would like to use the remaining branches on the trunk as grafting stock and cut back the trunk lower to the ground and graft back onto itself.

As you may see in the photos the trunk is a lot thicker than the branches. I have two thoughts, the first is to cut and graft into the side of a shorter trunk, the second is to cut back the trunk to almost the ground and graft into the tops. Any advice or perspective on this would be helpful.

I would also like any advice or perspective on shapes given the surroundings rock work. My feel is towards creating visual of a miniature mountain with the single tree at the peak and moss and/or grasses holding to the side of the mountain. So with that in mind the tree would need to be “in scale” if you know what I mean.

Attachments

• CE91390C-C6C8-495D-B08B-B91DD7D01E53.jpeg
    CE91390C-C6C8-495D-B08B-B91DD7D01E53.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 51

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
better not be some super deep twisted ERC joke going on here...like, ya kno what...nah (audible laughter & post)🌝

for ERC solidarity here’s one of them bastard stepchildren, next step severe bends30441668-BD3E-4170-B82B-E649F4CEDEE1.jpeg

Leo Perkins

Seedling
Reaction score
better not be some super deep twisted ERC joke going on here...like, ya kno what...nah (audible laughter & post)🌝

for ERC solidarity here’s one of them bastard stepchildren, next step severe bendsView attachment 335549
Haha no joke, just new to the forum, the first post parted posted by accident and when I went to edit it timed out, just waiting for forum moderator to approve the rest of the post.

So more to come when approved.

Leo Perkins

Seedling
Reaction score

for ERC solidarity here’s one of them bastard stepchildren, next step severe bendsView attachment 335549
You know what here it is again.

I am looking for some advice on shaping an established Juniperus virginiana to a more practical size with a Bonsai feel.

I have recently moved into a new rental that had been vacant for over a year and the garden has been wild for even longer.

I needed to cut back this one because it was above the two story house with branches pushing into the windows.

Now I need to shape this. Ideally to a lower more bonsai feel.

My thinking is I would like to use the remaining branches on the trunk as grafting stock and cut back the trunk lower to the ground and graft back onto itself.

As you may see in the photos the trunk is a lot thicker than the branches. I have two thoughts, the first is to cut and graft into the side of a shorter trunk, the second is to cut back the trunk to almost the ground and graft into the tops. Any advice or perspective on this would be helpful.

I would also like any advice or perspective on shapes given the surroundings rock work. My feel is towards creating visual of a miniature mountain with the single tree at the peak and moss and/or grasses holding to the side of the mountain. So with that in mind the tree would need to be “in scale” if you know what I mean.

Leo Perkins

Seedling
Reaction score
Haha no joke, just new to the forum, the first post parted posted by accident and when I went to edit it timed out, just waiting for forum moderator to approve the rest of the post.

So more to come when approved.

Attachments

• 7D5F6A45-CEB8-406E-B9EF-FE30E44D8310.jpeg
    7D5F6A45-CEB8-406E-B9EF-FE30E44D8310.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 66
  • 8786BBAF-A21B-4B29-A5E5-468E2B93A532.jpeg
    8786BBAF-A21B-4B29-A5E5-468E2B93A532.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 46
  • F9ACD5A6-8B7C-490D-8094-77ED3104B527.jpeg
    F9ACD5A6-8B7C-490D-8094-77ED3104B527.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 942419AC-3DB1-4955-90F4-BED022EBB56A.jpeg
    942419AC-3DB1-4955-90F4-BED022EBB56A.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 71

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Styling trees that are planted in the landscape is called Niwaki, it is an art that uses many of the same techniques are bonsai, but there are a few distinct differences because the tree is not growing in a bonsai pot. Japanese Gardens Forums may be better sources of Niwaki information as Niwaki are key features of Japanese Gardens.

That said, in bonsai circles Eastern Red Cedar, ERC, Juniperus virginiana, has a very mixed, or spotty reputation as a bonsai subject. Occasionally some really good, top level examples have been developed. But thousands of bonsai hobbyists have tried to create ERC bonsai and thousands have tossed their attempts on the burn pile or into the compost heap in frustration after years of working with them. A small few of really good ERC bonsai have been created. Majority have problems.

I do not know if the issues that ERC has, with loose foliage, and susceptibility to cedar-apple rust and similar rust diseases, will be issues with ERC as Niwaki. But as you gather information, keep an eye out for helpful tips in dealing with these issues.

Leo Perkins

Seedling
Reaction score
Styling trees that are planted in the landscape is called Niwaki, it is an art that uses many of the same techniques are bonsai, but there are a few distinct differences because the tree is not growing in a bonsai pot. Japanese Gardens Forums may be better sources of Niwaki information as Niwaki are key features of Japanese Gardens.

That said, in bonsai circles Eastern Red Cedar, ERC, Juniperus virginiana, has a very mixed, or spotty reputation as a bonsai subject. Occasionally some really good, top level examples have been developed. But thousands of bonsai hobbyists have tried to create ERC bonsai and thousands have tossed their attempts on the burn pile or into the compost heap in frustration after years of working with them. A small few of really good ERC bonsai have been created. Majority have problems.

I do not know if the issues that ERC has, with loose foliage, and susceptibility to cedar-apple rust and similar rust diseases, will be issues with ERC as Niwaki. But as you gather information, keep an eye out for helpful tips in dealing with these issues.
Thank you Leo, this is very helpful. I am coming into landscape gardening from a sustainable agriculture background. It is my hope to use my existing joy for things Japanese (especially Edo) and combine it with my agriculture background to help give people gardenscapes that are a mental relief as well as being productive. That said there will always be plenty to learn and I am always greatful for any assistance.

Top Bottom