Help to shaping a maple

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First of all, I'm completely new to the bonsai world.

Bought this one and wondering what to do next. I find it hard to tell what way to go with it and I would love a lot of ideas to shaping it.

20220830_155501.jpg

Attachments

• 20220830_155446.jpg
    20220830_155446.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 104

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It can be appreciated for what it is. If that doesn't satisfy you, I'd consider removing the middle of the 3 branches toward the middle, though that will ruin the silhouette for a while. I'd start planning on getting it into a pot that's not so deep.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It can be appreciated for what it is. If that doesn't satisfy you, I'd consider removing the middle of the 3 branches toward the middle, though that will ruin the silhouette for a while. I'd start planning on getting it into a pot that's not so deep.
Would you be able to show me what you mean?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First step in styling any maple should be to check the roots. For really good maple bonsai nebari is really important so no point styling a nice tree only to discover the roots from that side are poor or non-existent.
How to proceed depends what your expectations are.
For really good future bonsai I'd be cutting quite hard then growing out again for a few cycles to get trunk thickening, taper and some trunk movement but that is likely to take 5-10 years.
If you're eager to have a bonsai but will accept lesser quality you can have a result in just a few years.

Both the very top and the thick branch upper right have been pruned then all the resulting shoots left leading to awkward bunches of small branches and most likely local swelling as a result. Both those are too thick and awkward for my taste so I'd be looking for ways to cut both off. Maybe follow @bwaynef virt but also take off the thick right branch as well as the main trunk.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First step in styling any maple should be to check the roots. For really good maple bonsai nebari is really important so no point styling a nice tree only to discover the roots from that side are poor or non-existent.
For really good future bonsai I'd be cutting quite hard then growing out again for a few cycles to get trunk thickening, taper and some trunk movement but that is likely to take 5-10 years.
If you're eager to have a bonsai but will accept lesser quality you can have a result in just a few years.

Both the very top and the thick branch upper right have been pruned then all the resulting shoots left leading to awkward bunches of small branches and most likely local swelling as a result. Both those are too thick and awkward for my taste so I'd be looking for ways to cut both off. Maybe follow @bwaynef virt but also take off the thick right branch as well as the main trunk.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So you would cut the branches off lkke shown in this picture? And then I make a crown afterwards?

Waiting up to 10 years would be too long, so I'm alright with the trunk not being perfectly fat.

20220830_155501~2.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would probably chop at the blue line I've drawn here but that will obviously mean a longer term project. Cutting like that adds important taper in the trunk and adds a bend to the trunk at the same time.
maple1.png
and use that branch as the continuation of the trunk. Maybe wire it up a little, maybe tilt the lower trunk to the right a bit to give a more flowing trunk line - that would all depend on the surface roots which we cannot see.

bbk

Mame
Reaction score
Others tips are on the money.

But depending how deep a dive you wanted to do, you could make an acceptable tree that you would be happy with and your non-bonsai friends would think was great.

ie it is already a great looking tree. Start shaping and ramification and it would look more than acceptable.

But it is already a great start it could set you on your journey to be the next hero of @bonsainut.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Others tips are on the money.

But depending how deep a dive you wanted to do, you could make an acceptable tree that you would be happy with and your non-bonsai friends would think was great.

ie it is already a great looking tree. Start shaping and ramification and it would look more than acceptable.

But it is already a great start it could set you on your journey to be the next hero of @bonsainut.
Which mean just buy a better tree to begin with? 😁

Think I'm gonna try making this acceptable and then I can buy a better looking tree later on.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would probably chop at the blue line I've drawn here but that will obviously mean a longer term project. Cutting like that adds important taper in the trunk and adds a bend to the trunk at the same time.
View attachment 454009
and use that branch as the continuation of the trunk. Maybe wire it up a little, maybe tilt the lower trunk to the right a bit to give a more flowing trunk line - that would all depend on the surface roots which we cannot see.
Sorry for my rookie questions, but would you then make an diagonal cut as shown on the picture? Unfortunately, I find it hard to picture the finished product - I'm that much of a rookie 😅

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, you shouldn't be doing any of this work now, if you're in the Northern hemisphere (please fill in you geographic location in your profile. It helps us give accurate advice, since seasons play an important role with what you do and when you do it) Work like you're thinking about should be done in the early spring.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Sorry for my rookie questions, but would you then make an diagonal cut as shown on the picture? Unfortunately, I find it hard to picture the finished product - I'm that much of a rookie 😅
That is exactly what I would do. But wait until the end of the winter for doing so.
Until then, you have time to buy a book and start learning for good.
I mean... we're happy to help, but you need to have at least a basic knowledge.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
BTW, you shouldn't be doing any of this work now, if you're in the Northern hemisphere (please fill in you geographic location in your profile. It helps us give accurate advice, since seasons play an important role with what you do and when you do it) Work like you're thinking about should be done in the early spring.
I won't chop it up now because I'm living in Denmark. I'm just looking for inspiration and advice. But thank you very much. I will fill it out.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is exactly what I would do. But wait until the end of the winter for doing so.
Thanks, you're right. Appreciate the advice though. For me it's hard to picture what can be done so I'll happily take all the advices I can.

Skovm4nd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
May I ask what benefit I get by the diagonal cut? More smooth transition?

Top Bottom