Help - Trident Maple Disease

Diogo Carvalho

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a trident maple thats very dear to me that is sick and i cant solve it. I've tried a few things that have been sugested to me - I treated it with a spray for fungus as instructed on its lable and added a fortifying mixture that is sold here in Portugal. The tree has been in the shade for a few weeks now to avoid stressing it but i cant see any improvemnt. I always treat all my trees for pests and i dont seem to see any bug on it. Someone sugested to look for root fungus but im not sure if i should stress it in summer by getting out of the pot.

Can someone sugest anything please? Even the new little leaves have those spots. Should i remove it from the pot to see the roots? If so, what do i do if there is said fungus on the roots? Should i add spagnum moss around them to try and improve the tree health?

Im really lost here and i'm getting deseperate 'cus this is my favourite tree and im scared to loose it. I'll leaves pictures of said tree and the fortifying mixture.

Thank you all in advance and sorry for any misspelss.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15 (1).jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15 (2).jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 43
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15 (3).jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 38
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.15.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 39
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.16 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.16 (2).jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 17.42.16.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Capturar.JPG
    Capturar.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some type of fungal. Here we have been having a very wet and cold summer, and one of my trident and a pear has similar symptoms. I try to keep the foliage dry (yeah, sure, thx morning fog!) and put the trees in as windy & sunny a spot I have. Even watering I keep the Foliage dry. I sprayed with fungicide twice in 6 weeks, to keep it down. My strategy is to not care what it looks like and wait for 2022.

But.. Get is growing and sunny. Shade is bad (in my opinion)

Diogo Carvalho

Seedling
Reaction score
Some type of fungal. Here we have been having a very wet and cold summer, and one of my trident and a pear has similar symptoms. I try to keep the foliage dry (yeah, sure, thx morning fog!) and put the trees in as windy & sunny a spot I have. Even watering I keep the Foliage dry. I sprayed with fungicide twice in 6 weeks, to keep it down. My strategy is to not care what it looks like and wait for 2022.

But.. Get is growing and sunny. Shade is bad (in my opinion)
It makes sense to get it to a sunny location to dry the fungi but i was also advised to keep it from the harsh sun so it doesnt get stressed (in my place it either gets shade or the full sun in the harsher hours). Im not sure what to do exactly ... Ill try to move it to a sunnier location then. Thank you

Edit: I also dont care what it will look like for now, i just want it to get healthy again

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the crappy quality. Winter is coming. And that means, it is dark already. Light provided by the security floodlight.

This branch is still very much affected:
1630867643091.png

But new branches are coming through ok:
1630867715089.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have also experienced similar looking symptoms on trident maples but usually only early in spring and rarely as bad as shown by @Diogo Carvalho . Growers down here have suggested everything from fungal infection to mites feeding on the buds before they open. Most people have treated for whatever they thought it was and experienced an improvement so they took that as confirmation they were correct and then argue with each other about who is right and wrong.
I procrastinated about the correct treatment and all the trees recovered as the season progressed without any treatment. That led me to believe whatever it is is seasonal and does not really require treatment and may explain why different treatments all worked. I cannot remember treating any of the trees for this but have only had very mild signs of it for a number of years now (fingers crossed) so have not needed look further to find a cause or effective treatment.
@leatherback may be correct about different climate or conditions being part of the problem as some pests and diseases are naturally controlled by seasonal conditions.

Leaves that are damaged will not recover so they will look bad for the remainder of summer. You can only see improvement in new leaves that open and usually growth is quite slow later in summer so it may be next year before you can assess whether any treatment has been successful.
The only thing I can suggest that you have not tried is treat for mites. Some are so tiny as to be unseen and are not affected by most pesticides. See if you can find something that specifically treats for mites. There appears to be a number of options available there.
Apologies for not having a definitive answer.
I hope your root over rock trident manages to make it to next spring and recovers.

Diogo Carvalho

Seedling
Reaction score
I have also experienced similar looking symptoms on trident maples but usually only early in spring and rarely as bad as shown by @Diogo Carvalho . Growers down here have suggested everything from fungal infection to mites feeding on the buds before they open. Most people have treated for whatever they thought it was and experienced an improvement so they took that as confirmation they were correct and then argue with each other about who is right and wrong.
I procrastinated about the correct treatment and all the trees recovered as the season progressed without any treatment. That led me to believe whatever it is is seasonal and does not really require treatment and may explain why different treatments all worked. I cannot remember treating any of the trees for this but have only had very mild signs of it for a number of years now (fingers crossed) so have not needed look further to find a cause or effective treatment.
@leatherback may be correct about different climate or conditions being part of the problem as some pests and diseases are naturally controlled by seasonal conditions.

Leaves that are damaged will not recover so they will look bad for the remainder of summer. You can only see improvement in new leaves that open and usually growth is quite slow later in summer so it may be next year before you can assess whether any treatment has been successful.
The only thing I can suggest that you have not tried is treat for mites. Some are so tiny as to be unseen and are not affected by most pesticides. See if you can find something that specifically treats for mites. There appears to be a number of options available there.
Apologies for not having a definitive answer.
I hope your root over rock trident manages to make it to next spring and recovers.
Thank you so much. Tomorrow i will get something for mites and try it out. Fingers crossed, i hope that it can survive until spring. They are a hardy species but it lost a LOT of leaves and the new ones come with the black spots so thats why i was afraid.
In the following days ill update the state of it.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had some issues with fungus this year with a japanese maple and a linden. The problems were similar to yours. Mancozeb fixed my maple and bordeaux mix fixed my linden. I would suggest mancozeb first. Good luck.

Top Bottom