Forest Bean

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this tree in the Clarksburg and Fairmont area of West Virginia. Lots of hills and mountains.

I really have no clue what species it is. I have been searching all over the internet for something close to it. Lots of Beech grow where I dug it up, but I know it's not beech.

The new buds are bright pink as you can see and old buds are deep red. Along with newer growth being a reddish color. The bark is grey and on the newer branches there are short and long internodes depending on how much sunlight they got.

When I found it, almost the whole tree had slowly bent over from gravity due to a majority of the trunk being dead. Even though it was at an 85 degree angle, it hadn't snapped and it was still alive. So I decided to cut off the bent part and collect it to take home.

-ForestIMG_5877.jpgIMG_5880.jpgIMG_5874.JPGIMG_5876.JPGIMG_5878.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5874.JPG
    IMG_5874.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5876.JPG
    IMG_5876.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5877.jpg
    IMG_5877.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5880.jpg
    IMG_5880.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 2

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@GGB Freeman Maple or some hybrid yes?

Seems just like mine. Only them old grey barked branches grew....like they did!

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And if anyone says they don't make tight internodes, or the resulting ramifications or tiny leaves...

Show them this pic IMG_5876.JPG

Drop an Eff bomb on em if you're into that...

Or just don't believe them!

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I definitely wouldn't rule out freeman's maple, but it could just as easily be red (rubrum) silver or invasive norway. You'll know in a few days when those leaves open up. or atleast... us maple guys will know ha. Just keep us posted

BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
An app that might help in the future is "Plantnet Plant Identification". I've used it several times to help ID plants. You upload a few pictures to the site and it will give you a list of plants with photos to choose from. Supposedly their community will verify or help you out but I have yet to see or here anything. However, I was able to make identifications on all the trees with fairly good comfort.

Top Bottom