Help: Vertical Interior Hollow Triage

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got an issue I need help/input on please. Started repotting my nice collected amer. hornbeam and made the move to cut off this lower tier of roots/bottom of the tap. to my dismay I found some rot in the center. it turns out there's some kind of old opening/wound on the side under one of the main roots that I never saw. so that's the opening/access but then there's a vertical hollow then runs UP like a good 6 inches. I rinsed the hollow out with hydrogen peroxide a couple of times to start disinfecting it.

1680839849264.png

I rinsed the hollow out with hydrogen peroxide a couple of times to start disinfecting it.
1680839920452.png
Unfortunately this is also time sensitive. The tree is currently sitting in water pending repair but needs to be repotted asap. I've seen demos on here where people have used cement to fill in wounds on the trunk from a branch cut, but I don't think that's the answer in my case, I'd end up with a big air pocket probably.

One thought I had was to possibly try using spray foam insulation because I can get way in there and it expands. But I don't know how water proof that is and would likely still need a better seal on the two openings.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't see any problem. Many trees live full lives with the trunk completely hollow from rot, termites, etc. You may even have seen pictures of trees with open trunks large enough to walk or drive a car through.
The interior wood is really just for strength. It has little bearing on the living parts which are the outer layers. The heart wood may rot away but that rarely affects the outer living layers.
I'd be inclined to leave it as it is. Blocking or filling the hole will probably just allow the rotting process to go on out of sight.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't worry about it at this point. It is what it is. Cementing it could actually make it worse by sealing water against the wood.

Top Bottom