Strelf

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to bonsai growing and want to make sure that I am doing everything right for my bonsai. I am 99% sure that is a Juniper Procumbens nana. I just bought the bonsai for my desk at work and realized that the pot does not have a hole in the bottom to let excess water out. I am going to buy a soil moisture meter and am wondering how moist the soil should be before watering. I have seen online to never let it get too dry or too wet, but does that mean to keep the soils moisture level right in between the dry/wet marks on the sensor or should the soil moisture level be more to the wet/dry side? I guess what I am really asking is where should the soil meter read (roughly) before watering?

And more out of curiosity, I have a full spectrum plant light that it is under right now, will that supply it enough light? I have it on a timer to supply light from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM every day of the week. Thank you for all your help.
-Preston

punsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Share picture.
You need to change the pot. Look for a training pot, make sure to check the soil, the roots are in danger due to too much humidity

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to bonsai growing and want to make sure that I am doing everything right for my bonsai. I am 99% sure that is a Juniper Procumbens nana. I just bought the bonsai for my desk at work and realized that the pot does not have a hole in the bottom to let excess water out. I am going to buy a soil moisture meter and am wondering how moist the soil should be before watering. I have seen online to never let it get too dry or too wet, but does that mean to keep the soils moisture level right in between the dry/wet marks on the sensor or should the soil moisture level be more to the wet/dry side? I guess what I am really asking is where should the soil meter read (roughly) before watering?

And more out of curiosity, I have a full spectrum plant light that it is under right now, will that supply it enough light? I have it on a timer to supply light from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM every day of the week. Thank you for all your help.
-Preston
Is it going to be outside in winter?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even a full spectrum plant light can't compare to the sun. A juniper wont thrive in an indoor office environment long-term. They are an outside tree and need the brightness and intensity of the natural sunlight, plus the humidity and air movement of the outdoors. It also needs the cold temperatures in winter as @Mayank mentioned above in order to have its dormancy period.

Drill some drainage holes in the bottom of your pot and keep it on your patio or maybe an outdoor window box if you're in an apartment. It will be so much happier.

For your desk I would recommend a Schefflera or Ficus or something tropical like that. These can handle the lower light conditions of an office and can be very rewarding in their own way.

Top Bottom