Help...what is going on with my hemlock

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could this be black spot? I am seeing that in the ravine beside where this tree is being kept in dapple sun/shade. It's thrived up to this point...what's a person to do...Liquid copper fungicide? Or should I look for pests?
image.jpg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm totally no expert but when i google blackspot i only get pictures of non-conifers.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Possible damage? Bent it too much?
All the damage is in one branch only?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Possible damage? Bent it too much?
All the damage is in one branch only?
I've done nothing to it than water and fertilize. No direction on where to take it...so no, no bends or anything to the tree. Just horticulture needs being met.

Yes to this one branch and another smaller area on a branch near it. It seems contained...might need to look for mites. Just with the black spot in the ravine...made me wonder that.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the branch snapped halfway through? that can happen without the crack showing. Are the affected branches shaded out more than the others? Has their exposure to sunlight changed (as in the angle of the sun over time increased or decreased)?

I doubt that's black spot, BTW

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes, check for mites or as already been mentioned, is it mechanical damage(is branch partially broken)?

Also, hose it down occasionally early in the morning on warm dry days. Will keep it clean and discourage insects.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes trees just drop branches for reasons we'll never know. This may be one of those cases. It could be insect damage, mechanical damage, not enough light reaching that branch, or...none of the above. I'd say if it starts happening to other branches, then be concerned.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My nursery which treats trees for illness and disease thinks it's either a damaged branch or heat stress. I'm to just remove the branch as Mike stated. Other than that it looks healthy.

Top Bottom