Help: What species is this?

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m thinking of acquiring this tree. Can someone help me ID this one? Thank you!

Attachments

• 5970588D-46ED-4C3F-9AB7-CB4F44C3DC88.png
    5970588D-46ED-4C3F-9AB7-CB4F44C3DC88.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 0A5BC6FE-B61D-4F93-8DD2-BEA42C01B1EB.jpeg
    0A5BC6FE-B61D-4F93-8DD2-BEA42C01B1EB.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 91

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A close up of the leaf configuration would be helpful. It may be a variant of Ilex crenata.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A close up of the leaf configuration would be helpful. It may be a variant of Ilex crenata.
Someone’s selling this and I’d like to buy it. All I know is it has tiny white flowers. Certainly looks like some kind of holly. I’ve attached a close up but I confess it’s just an enlargement so might lack detail.

Attachments

• 62000EE8-7EC8-45F9-BA6A-D4B487D839D7.png
    62000EE8-7EC8-45F9-BA6A-D4B487D839D7.png
    465.9 KB · Views: 85
  • A52AADF4-0232-4134-A742-0BDEBF580ACB.jpeg
    A52AADF4-0232-4134-A742-0BDEBF580ACB.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 78

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From what I can see in the last photo, the leaves are a little too narrow and pointed for yaupon, and the arrangement is opposite which rules out all hollies. Privet perhaps?

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
From what I can see in the last photo, the leaves are a little too narrow and pointed for yaupon, and the arrangement is opposite which rules out all hollies. Privet perhaps?
Hmm, interesting. I will get close up shots and update this posting tomorrow.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha. I’m planning on buying it for $60. At the very least, the time that someone put in to wire must have cost that much, right? 😉
The price sounds good but art in any form is not priced by the hour. If it was, I have seedlings worth hundreds. :)

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The price sounds good but art in any form is not priced by the hour. If it was, I have seedlings worth hundreds. :)
Agreed! But then again, I wonder now and then if Bonsai is truly an art or if it’s a craft. Granted the bonsai ‘artist’ can create something which is unique. But there is a lot of rules in Bonsai that it could be a strong candidate for crafts. 🤔

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed! But then again, I wonder now and then if Bonsai is truly an art or if it’s a craft. Granted the bonsai ‘artist’ can create something which is unique. But there is a lot of rules in Bonsai that it could be a strong candidate for crafts. 🤔
There have been many discussions about that and it is not my intent to start a new one.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha. I’m planning on buying it for $60. At the very least, the time that someone put in to wire must have cost that much, right? 😉
Okay I am a little more awake tonight. It is correct that it is NOT a yaupon. And NOT because of the narrowness of the leaf because some of them can be quite narrow especially the natives and not the dwarf cultivars that are grown as nursery stock. It is because the leaf margins are complete and smooth. They are also too pale and opposite. However, the leaves are also cupped and curled in various places making it clear that this plant has only recently been worked and not given the aftercare it should have received.
$60 ??? And that wiring is not that well done either; at least not a sixty dollar worth of time.
Buy it???
Only if you are really in love with the pot.
Just my honest opinion

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay I am a little more awake tonight. It is correct that it is NOT a yaupon. And NOT because of the narrowness of the leaf because some of them can be quite narrow especially the natives and not the dwarf cultivars that are grown as nursery stock. It is because the leaf margins are complete and smooth. They are also too pale and opposite. However, the leaves are also cupped and curled in various places making it clear that this plant has only recently been worked and not given the aftercare it should have received.
$60 ??? And that wiring is not that well done either; at least not a sixty dollar worth of time.
Buy it???
Only if you are really in love with the pot.
Just my honest opinion
Thank you. I appreciate your honest thoughts. I’m checking it out tomorrow; will decide on a case-by-case basis.

Top Bottom