Help! Wilting leaves/ bug problem

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm planning to repot this immediately with some diacomtemous earth and soil. Still waiting on the earth. (It's Napa part # 8822).

There's little black bugs in the soil and on the tree (scarce, but there). I've tried spraying it with insecticide to no avail. I've pruned off 95% of the dead/dying foliage to preserve energy but it's still alive and growing new buds rapidly. However as the pics show they keep wilting. Is it a root rot issue? Thank you so much.
This is what it looked like when I first got it (ABOVE). Current pics below.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 23
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 25

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe you shouldn't have cut of the unhealthy stuff.

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
Maybe you shouldn't have cut of the unhealthy stuff.
may have been a bad idea :( I did it in a desperate attempt to save it. It was very impulsive. It seems to be growing back though, I hope once I get it in proper soil it might do better

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
are you sure that will be ok just on its own?

Absolutely!

The particle size of DE 8822 is too small to do well with any wet additives.

I've found pine fines included dries too quick.

I put very minimal worm castings and biotone in this year, not terrible, but better alone, this is my last year experimenting.....straight 8822 for me forever!

And sifted! Gotta be sifted!
Wear a mask!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with @sorce if your gonna use #8822 use it alone and sifted, at first its hard to realize that it's okay to use inorganic particles alone it took me awhile, but when you do, you learn any kind of potting soil is awful for Bonsai purposes. Here's a dwarf rose I have planted in an experimental clay aggregate I got ahold of and the rose is happier than ever. The only thing about Bonsai soil is you can not forget to fertilize.

Attachments

• 1450302863576745527863.jpg
    1450302863576745527863.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 20

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
I agree with @sorce if your gonna use #8822 use it alone and sifted, at first its hard to realize that it's okay to use inorganic particles alone it took me awhile, but when you do, you learn any kind of potting soil is awful for Bonsai purposes. Here's a dwarf rose I have planted in an experimental clay aggregate I got ahold of and the rose is happier than ever. The only thing about Bonsai soil is you can not forget to fertilize.
thanks! Can i use a metal sifter from my kitchen or do i need special equipment?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
thanks! Can i use a metal sifter from my kitchen or do i need special equipment?
That's what I use, some will say to get special ones but I guess it depends on what your sifting if there's a a lot difference in particle size in what your sifting then it might be better but with #8822 you should be fine with a regular kitchen one.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used 8822 for a few years. I use it straight or with some turkey grit thrown in. I will be trying other substrates this coming year,just to see. But I've had excellent results using the diatomaceous earth. I only need to water once a day. I don't get bugs because it irritates them. I can reuse it over and over.
One thing I don't do is sift. I've never had a problem not.
The dust washes out the first few waterings.
This spring I'm ordering lava,pumice,calcined clay and a bag of akadama to try. But most trees will still be going into 8822. For price and reliability.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing I don't do is sift. I've never had a problem not.
The dust washes out the first few waterings.

I have been trying to figure out how that works for you......

I think the turkey grit helps..
A hose watering....(which I don't)
And bigger colander holes.

I know my drainless bottom baskets make it necessary for me to sift.

What is your take?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For reference.

Straight 8822.....this may or may not have worn castings and biotone.

And drainless bottom basket.
20151114_093034.jpg
As sarcastic as I can be.......
That is terrible root growth!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It must be the copious amounts of water. I would say it was in conjunction with the colander but what about the ones in bonsai pots? The dust runs out of the bottom of them too.

vaibatron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you repot make sure to wash the roots thoroughly! Privet won't skip a beat! And don't fuss with it for a while!

Top Bottom