help with a big mistake in my bonsai

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
To begin with I apologize for my bad English, I just put it on Google translator. As it is in the thread title, I made a huge mistake with my acerola/Barbados cherry bonsai. What happened was that I made a cut in order to give it more taper, but for lack of knowledge at the time I made the cut in an inappropriate way that caused one side of the shell to take away. My question is what can I do now with her now? How do I disguise this error? Is there any kind of dead wood I can make? I had researched about sabamiki but I don't know how to apply it correctly to my bonsai and I don't have the right tools for that either. Below are photos of the plant.

The other solution I thought was to do a drastic pruning and try to transform it into semi-cascade style or something else but I don't know the best way to take advantage of the shape of the tree.

What do you suggest I do? Remembering that I live in Brazil and the season at the moment is winter. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20210731_103212.jpg
    20210731_103212.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210731_103233.jpg
    20210731_103233.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210731_103239.jpg
    20210731_103239.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210731_103443.jpg
    20210731_103443.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210731_103354.jpg
    20210731_103354.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 55

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it is a huge mistake. People trunk chop knowing it is a long process for the tree to heal (years sometimes) Leave the tree alone for awhile and do not do anything with the other branches for now. See what kind of rebudding you get during the next growing season to give you some more options. Trunk chopping a long process. In the meantime find some other trees to work with and leave this one alone a bit is my opinion.

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't think it is a huge mistake. People trunk chop knowing it is a long process for the tree to heal (years sometimes) Leave the tree alone for awhile and do not do anything with the other branches for now. See what kind of rebudding you get during the next growing season to give you some more options. Trunk chopping a long process. In the meantime find some other trees to work with and leave this one alone a bit is my opinion.
Really? I was very scared after this happened not knowing what to do. I'm still trying to learn to deal with patience.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I understand your English perfectly.

It is not too bad. The middle of the tree may rot, but it may leave you with an interesting tree with a hollow in the middle.

First thing - it is important to get all of the strength of the tree to grow up in your apex. So you want to prune back the strong branch on the left, while letting the top branch become the strongest part of the tree. Once that part has grown tall and strong, the sides of the pruning wound will start to close and heal. You will then be able to shorten the top of the tree and develop side branches - but don't do that until the top of the tree has gotten very strong.

You can also tilt your tree a little to one side or other so that the bottom of the trunk is not so straight. But before you do that, you want to see what your roots look like - and the bottom of the trunk right where the roots flare out of the trunk. This may influence your decision on which way to plant the tree.

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I understand your English perfectly.

It is not too bad. The middle of the tree may rot, but it may leave you with an interesting tree with a hollow in the middle.

First thing - it is important to get all of the strength of the tree to grow up in your apex. So you want to prune back the strong branch on the left, while letting the top branch become the strongest part of the tree. Once that part has grown tall and strong, the sides of the pruning wound will start to close and heal. You will then be able to shorten the top of the tree and develop side branches - but don't do that until the top of the tree has gotten very strong.

You can also tilt your tree a little to one side or other so that the bottom of the trunk is not so straight. But before you do that, you want to see what your roots look like - and the bottom of the trunk right where the roots flare out of the trunk. This may influence your decision on which way to plant the tree.

View attachment 389320

View attachment 389321
you gave me good ideas on what to do. Thanks for guiding me!

Top Bottom