Help with a collected raft

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tonight walking with my daughter I saw a nice little tree I wanted to collect, and when I went to dig it out I realized that the other saplings next to it were attached to the same root.

I was hoping to separate these and make a forest planting eventually.

Would it be advisable to separate them now or pot this as is until good roots develop?

Thank you guys for your help!

20170514_202707.jpg 20170514_202723.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm guessing this is a She-oak. Unfortunately, I don't believe you collected enough feeder roots. I don't know enough about them to give advice but I wish you luck.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm guessing this is a She-oak. Unfortunately, I don't believe you collected enough feeder roots. I don't know enough about them to give advice but I wish you luck.

Thank you Vin, yes I thought it was she oak as well but I wasn't sure.

I didn't think there were enough feeders :(.......grabbed this on a whim, but seeing so many collected trees with almost no roots I figured I'd give it a shot. Took a few minutes to pot up. I used a little rooting hormone as well.

Reactions: Vin

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Tonight walking with my daughter I saw a nice little tree I wanted to collect, and when I went to dig it out I realized that the other saplings next to it were attached to the same root.

I was hoping to separate these and make a forest planting eventually.

Would it be advisable to separate them now or pot this as is until good roots develop?

Thank you guys for your help!

View attachment 145681 View attachment 145682

In florida since 2011 she oak aka. Australian pine is technically illegal to own or grow or transport. Since I am a registered nursery biz in fl my inspector told me it's a no-no also when she first checked me out several years ago. I had to pitch the two I had.
Casuarina equisetifolia, Australian Pine1
Michael G. Andreu, Melissa H. Friedman, and Robert J. Northrop2

Warning: Australian pine is a category I invasive species in Florida, and its possession, transport, and cultivation are strictly prohibited by the Florida Division of Plant Industry.

Family
Casuarinaceae, she-oak or beefwood family

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In florida since 2011 she oak aka. Australian pine is technically illegal to own or grow or transport. Since I am a registered nursery biz in fl my inspector told me it's a no-no also when she first checked me out several years ago. I had to pitch the two I had.
Casuarina equisetifolia, Australian Pine1
Michael G. Andreu, Melissa H. Friedman, and Robert J. Northrop2

Warning: Australian pine is a category I invasive species in Florida, and its possession, transport, and cultivation are strictly prohibited by the Florida Division of Plant Industry.

Family
Casuarinaceae, she-oak or beefwood family

I was not aware of the species when collected. Thank you for the info I appreciate it!!

I'm guessing I should throw these out then....

Top Bottom