• 20220818_172832.jpg
    20220818_172832.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 7

invaderzim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
**Just as a disclaimer up front, I'm not trying to discredit anybody or their thoughts on what this might be.**

Was lurking around, researching trunk development and taper techniques that limit scarring and came across this thread. OP says it's a mulberry (and they have a large bush as well) and the leaves look suspiciously like mine.. Similar locations and sizes for veins and lobes. Just throwing it out there.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s not a maple that I’m aware of . Like others have said nay be to early to tell . My plant ID app days every pic is White mulberry but I have no experience with that species and have no idea if the app is correct . Just pointing out what it says . Experience with the app has convinced me . Different pics will get different results if it’s not sure . Same result with every pic is pretty strong evidence . But like I said I personally have no idea about mulberry

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Both my apps say Mulberry
It doesn't look like any adult Mulberry foliage that I've seen, but perhaps the seedlings look different. The main factor I see that suggests to me that it could indeed be Mulberry is the asymmetry of the leaves, which is a key feature of Mulberry. In contrast, maple leaves are symmetric.

invaderzim

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s not a maple that I’m aware of . Like others have said nay be to early to tell . My plant ID app days every pic is White mulberry but I have no experience with that species and have no idea if the app is correct . Just pointing out what it says . Experience with the app has convinced me . Different pics will get different results if it’s not sure . Same result with every pic is pretty strong evidence . But like I said I personally have no idea about mulberry

My plant ID app says mulberry as well.

It doesn't look like any adult Mulberry foliage that I've seen, but perhaps the seedlings look different. The main factor I see that suggests to me that it could indeed be Mulberry is the asymmetry of the leaves, which is a key feature of Mulberry. In contrast, maple leaves are symmetric.

Apparently, mulberry can have 3 different shapes - entire, mitten (single lobed), and three-lobed.

Going to leave the attached document and link where it came from here for future reference in case anyone runs into a similar situation. Document walks through the differences between white and red mulberry. Thought this link was helpful as well.

Rounded serrations on the leaf margins like the ones in my photos lean towards white mulberry (Morus alba).

Also these photos below. Looks like I shouldn't be surprised if leaves change (they look like they do in my photos as well).
White-Mulberry-.jpg
Morus_alba_Pendula_l_u8JvS28uMc7t.jpeg
^ (Morus alba 'Pendula')

Attachments

• Mulberry fnr_237.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mulberry has quite a bit of variation in leaf forms naturally so it can be hard to know. Have we considered that it's not a tree? Doesn't look like anything I know except maybe mulberry.

SeanOH1976

Seedling
Reaction score
I could be greatly mistaken however, it looks allot like an oak tree seedling.

Dadayama

Sapling
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is a mulberry.... They grow everywhere around Oklahoma City... The leaves change from when they are young to older.

Top Bottom