Help with an Eugenia Uniflora (Pitanga)

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have being interested in Bonsai for a long time, I bought a little tree, around three years ago, in this time I had a lot of problems with it, almost no noticible growth, no flowering,etc...

So I want some help about what to do about its growth and future changes.

I'm sorry for being such a noob...

pitanga.jpg

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have being interested in Bonsai for a long time, I bought a little tree, around three years ago, in this time I had a lot of problems with it, almost no noticible growth, no flowering,etc...

So I want some help about what to do about its growth and future changes.

I'm sorry for being such a noob...

View attachment 361920
Does the plant live inside? Although tropicals survive indoors they are much happier outside.

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Does the plant live inside? Although tropicals survive indoors they are much happier outside.
At first I left the tree in the middle of my living room, not much direct sun light, I changed its place very next to the window, it got better, but stopped growing again.

My window is very big, about 2,10x1,80m (6.90x5.90ft)

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The substrate seems to be regular black garden soil, if so, I'd try and repot into something that dries faster, I use a mixture of perlite, pine bark and garden soil, if you want to use a "premium substrate", akadama and kiryuzuna (70/30) should work just fine. Are you fertilizing it?

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
At first I left the tree in the middle of my living room, not much direct sun light, I changed its place very next to the window, it got better, but stopped growing again.

My window is very big, about 2,10x1,80m (6.90x5.90ft)
Also, from your comment I'll assume that you cannot set it outside.

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The substrate seems to be regular black garden soil, if so, I'd try and repot into something that dries faster, I use a mixture of perlite, pine bark and garden soil, if you want to use a "premium substrate", akadama and kiryuzuna (70/30) should work just fine. Are you fertilizing it?
Also, from your comment I'll assume that you cannot set it outside.
I have just reppoted it, isn't better to wait until the next spring? By the way, my town is in lockdown, but I have medium sand, small rocks and this dark soil with a lot of bark in it, I could mix them all together to make it more drainable? I bought a fertilizer (triple 10) but used it only once.
Here in Brazil its almost autumm, don't know if I should keep fertilizing it.

And yes, I can't go outside, I live in an apartment.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I have just reppoted it, isn't better to wait until the next spring? By the way, my town is in lockdown, but I have medium sand, small rocks and this dark soil with a lot of bark in it, I could mix them all together to make it more drainable? I bought a fertilizer (triple 10) but used it only once.
Here in Brazil its almost autumm, don't know if I should keep fertilizing it.

And yes, I can't go outside, I live in an apartment.
Hey Munch, seja bem vindo ao fórum!

My experience with Pitangas is they don't like very much to be indoors, as they need wind, sun and plenty of water to thrive. I have a couple doing well outdoors in a small garden, but I see you don't have such possibility.
There are two or three bonsai nurseries in Curitiba where you can leave your Pitanga for a period of time, maybe it helps making it stronger.
I fertilize until May here in São Paulo, and yes, a good drainable soil helps.
Don't repot it in the winter, wait for the Spring, which will be by the end of August/September to repot it.

Munch9

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hey Munch, seja bem vindo ao fórum!

My experience with Pitangas is they don't like very much to be indoors, as they need wind, sun and plenty of water to thrive. I have a couple doing well outdoors in a small garden, but I see you don't have such possibility.
There are two or three bonsai nurseries in Curitiba where you can leave your Pitanga for a period of time, maybe it helps making it stronger.
I fertilize until May here in São Paulo, and yes, a good drainable soil helps.
Don't repot it in the winter, wait for the Spring, which will be by the end of August/September to repot it.
Valeu!!!
Vou ficar com ela e tentar fortificá-la expondo ela mais ao tempo e continuar com o fertilizantes até maio.
I will repot it later in a better soil, I would leave it at a nurserie but I want to understand it better, thank you a lot!

Top Bottom