Help with Bougainvillea

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
This tree was pulled out of a garden in July last year (mid winter in Melbourne Australia) out of necessity. It’s now growing quite strongly and I’m planning to reduce the trunk at the end of summer: (end of February here). I am however curious if anyone has had experience with reducing leaf size on these trees and if so how it was done. Any help would be very much appreciated.

8120AC43-6050-4D85-86E8-D09425D9B7A2.jpeg

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
nice size trunk :) howd you get it out of the ground?
Never had a bougainvillea before but this was to good to pass up. It came out of my mum’s house after she passed and we sold her home. I was thrilled to have it as I’d given it to her as a sapling many many years ago for Mother’s Day. Anyway, I just dug around it and cut off most of the roots as it was up against a fence and they had travelled under a garage next door and couldn’t get any roots. Basically I had a stump with no roots pulled out of the ground in the middle of winter! It was put in a very loose mix, watered and covered in black plastic and left to grow. It started budding profusely in spring and put out a heap of new growth this Summer. I’m now in the process of planning where to carve the trunk under the tutelage of one of the best bonsai artists in Australia. Can’t wait to get started next and hoping to post progress.

Todaru123

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice, I like trees with some kind of story with them. Looks like you have a nice warm microclimate there tucked up against the brick, I assume it would be good for the bouge :)
Put there out of necessity rather than design. With 3 teenagers and their mates constantly playing basketball in the backyard, it was the only place I thought it would be safe!!!

Top Bottom