Help with Brazilian Rain Tree

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Greetings,

We recently bought a BRT from a nursery along with some other young starter trees. At the nursery, it was in a greenhouse and now at its new home it's indoors since the colder fall season is upon us. We've had it for about a month now. The BRT is under bright LED grow lights about 2 feet from the canopy for 16 hours a day. The soil has a lot of organic matter and holds water well (maybe too well).

At first the tree seemed to be doing great pushing out lots of new growth. Now it seems to be in trouble with yellowing and drying leaves. We noticed a very small amount of small fine webs so I sprayed a diluted solution of organic citric acid based miticide. I then noticed some slight burning on the newer growth so lesson learned there.

We are worried the BRT may need something or maybe it need nothing and we should wait it out watching not to over water. Not sure where to go from here. Repot to a more free draining soil? We're open to ideas

Thanks!

20191024_174712.jpg20191024_174729.jpg20191024_174739.jpg20191024_174749.jpg20191024_174756.jpg20191024_174819.jpg20191024_174828.jpg20191024_174850.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Repotting it when it has to be indoors all winter, and when it's already a bit weak would stress it even more.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Greetings,

We recently bought a BRT from a nursery along with some other young starter trees. At the nursery, it was in a greenhouse and now at its new home it's indoors since the colder fall season is upon us. We've had it for about a month now. The BRT is under bright LED grow lights about 2 feet from the canopy for 16 hours a day. The soil has a lot of organic matter and holds water well (maybe too well).

At first the tree seemed to be doing great pushing out lots of new growth. Now it seems to be in trouble with yellowing and drying leaves. We noticed a very small amount of small fine webs so I sprayed a diluted solution of organic citric acid based miticide. I then noticed some slight burning on the newer growth so lesson learned there.

We are worried the BRT may need something or maybe it need nothing and we should wait it out watching not to over water. Not sure where to go from here. Repot to a more free draining soil? We're open to ideas

Thanks!

Couple of things. First, two feet from the lights is too far. You're aiming for about 4-6 inches.

I do mine at 6 hours on, 6 hours off. 16 hours is probably too long.

The soil is not good and it looks a little pot bound. But, if you can, it is best to try to wait until summer to repot.

Losing leaves is not uncommon with these but you kind of have to make a judgement call if it is just upset or actually dying. They can be kinda temperamental but are really pretty tough trees.

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the replies!

A week has passed and we left things how they were - the wait and see approach. Seems like the BRT is doing slightly better. No new yellowing of any leaves and new buds are forming at internodes. We did lower the light so it's about 12 inches from the upper canopy. The plan is to up pot in a slightly larger container without disturbing the roots.

Thanks again

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The BRT is doing a lot better. Wired the lower branches to keep from sagging too low. The top needs some cleaning up but it seems healthy. The leaves are a light shade of green not that dark lush color. Maybe it needs something?

20200128_135255.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bloody hell!

Sorry to have missed ya.

Welcome to Crazy!

It's your year eh?

Gotta get me a FRT BRT!

Sorce

Rateeluck

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haven't killed it yet. Trying to make it taller which is difficult because of its weeping nature

20210417_173944.jpg20210417_173839.jpg

Top Bottom