Help with Brazilian Rain Tree

Reaction score
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I have a Brazilian rain tree bonsai and it has recently dropped much of its leaves and definitely is sick. I've been struggling to understand why as I have not changed anything regarding its care. I purchased the tree last summer from a bonsai nursery and they had mentioned to water it every 5-6 days. I had determined a good weight for it and watered it accordingly and it had done well for the past year. Earlier in 2021 I noticed the development of some 'bald spots,' -branches where the tree was not pushing new growth but this was pretty limited. As you can see in the pictures, within the last two weeks, the tree has completely crashed and I'm not sure it can be brought back.

A few folks have mentioned it is likely underwatered but I came to you for advice. The tree indoor here in NYC and use artificial lights to supplement as my apartment is not the brightest. The tree is still definitely alive as it is pushing new growth, primarily now at the top, and the leaves open and close as they should. Is the tree salvageable and is it possible to generate growth across the whole tree? Your thoughts and wisdom are most appreciated! I keep the tree indoor here in NYC and use artificial lights to supplement as my apartment is not the brightest. The tree is still definitely alive as it is pushing new growth, primarily now at the top, and the leaves open and close as they should. Is the tree salvageable and is it possible to generate growth across the whole tree? Your thoughts and wisdom are most appreciated!

BRT1.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like not enough water or you have a serious root issue, or both.

Does that pot have a drain hole?
What is the soil? Potting soil?

Some of those lower branches are dead.
It still has leaves on part of it so if we can stop and fix whatever is going wrong, you might have a chance of it surviving.

BRT really don't like to dry out

Stick a chop stick in the soil and leave it there for a while and then take it out and see how wet the stick is. Water the tree before the stick gets dry.

I keep my BRT inside under lights during the winter and I water them every day or every other day depending on when they need water. However I have mine in a inorganic, open soil mix, not potting soil. In the summer, they are outside and get watered every day

Reaction score
Looks like not enough water or you have a serious root issue, or both.

Does that pot have a drain hole?
What is the soil? Potting soil?

I keep my BRT inside under lights during the winter and I water them every day or every other day depending on when they need water. However I have mine in a inorganic, open soil mix, not potting soil. In the summer, they are outside and get watered every day
Yes, the pot has drainage holes. I'm not entirely sure about the soil- though I do not believe it is potting soil given I picked it up from a bonsai-specific nursery.

Top Bottom