Help with broken penjing and pot

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
When I moved house this pot got cracked and Im wondering how to repair it or should I look for a replacement?
Any advice please? Its heavy!IMG_1827.JPGIMG_1811.JPG

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi, It's a pretty big break, but maybe it can be repaired. You can look the posts on kintsugi on this site. There are a couple of pretty good guides, including one titled "kitnsugi for beginners".

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to see you so something more artistic, like make a nice wood stand, and display it separated, like an inch apart, with a gold chain laid between the 2, snap, a bunch of gold link bridges from one to the other would be dope.

It doesn't seem like a repair would last of left outside.

The crackle is a bit busy for the rock.

Sorce

Joseph A.

Seed
Reaction score
I would probably do what sorce said separate the 2 pieces about a inch and a half set them on a wooden plank, but then wall off the edges and put a mini bridge from one broken side to the other with a river using blue rock running under. Yea be artistic.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would probably do what sorce said separate the 2 pieces about a inch and a half set them on a wooden plank, but then wall off the edges and put a mini bridge from one broken side to the other with a river using blue rock running under. Yea be artistic.

Bank that Joseph A!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm an old boat laminator, and I can tell you forget it. I could repair it for me, but it would cost more than a new pot. That's not going to be easy anyway because you're going to have to break the old pot off the bottom of the big mountain and with any luck some pieces of the old pot will be stuck to the bottom of the big mountain. Once you get it cleaned up so it will sit flat and buy a new ceramic pot to your tastes, consider not gluing it altogether. It will be easier to move even though I'm sure you won't be moving it very often. Before you assemble the new pot with the mountains you need to make sure your new pot doesn't wobble. If your four-footed pot rocks on three feet, fix it, -or else. I would speculate that the old pot didn't set perfectly flat and putting mountains on opposite ends of the pot put stress on the pot like the weights on a tetter-totter. No ceramic will bear that for long. To fix feet that rock you need some two part epoxy. Put a thin piece plastic film like a plastic baggie on a dead flat surface, put a dab of mixed epoxy on the plastic film and set the pot on the flat surface with the short foot touching down on the gob of wet epoxy, let it set up and cure for a day or two and carve it to look right. It may not be forever, but it will work OK for some time.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks to you all for ideas. I like the suggestions of a wooden stand and displaying it separated but its too heavy for that to be practical plus I find the pot glaze is also coming off in patches so Im afraid its not worth keeping. I will have to try to remove the rock then find a new pot or slab to dispay it on . It is very heavy and needs to be on a strong but light base. Do you think would fibreglass be an option Foresoothe or is it too flexible?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find the pot glaze is also coming off in patches so Im afraid its not worth keeping
Amen.

Look at Ryan Neils ....I believe it's Beech Forest creation. He uses rubber bumpers for large rocks. I imagine you could use rubber tubing to good effect for a shock resistor.

Sorce

Reactions: AJL

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks to you all for ideas. I like the suggestions of a wooden stand and displaying it separated but its too heavy for that to be practical plus I find the pot glaze is also coming off in patches so Im afraid its not worth keeping. I will have to try to remove the rock then find a new pot or slab to dispay it on . It is very heavy and needs to be on a strong but light base. Do you think would fibreglass be an option Foresoothe or is it too flexible?
Fiberglass cloth is the re-inforcing material which is immersed in either epoxy or polyester resin and are together called a lamination. You have to have enough surface available to stick to on each piece to hold the two together on both sides of the pot. You can't just fill the crack between the pieces and expect it to stay together. That would work on a smaller part with fewer forces working against the parts staying together, but a heavy, wide pot with great weights in it is asking too much. This is a 6" pot that is bound for kintsugi.
pot for kintsugi 1.JPG
It's glued together at the seams, minus one of the pieces I lost, and I need to laminate the whole interior before I fill the seems on the outside and apply the gold.
pot for kintsugi 2.JPG
I'm doing another at the same time that isn't as broken up as this one, but this is an experiment and my first time with the gold. This is my opportunity to learn something. Nothing is as strong as a ceramic pot with the possible exception of when I laminate the insides of this little one which will then become an epoxy laminate pot stuck insides a ceramic shell. The ceramic will still break if I drop it again.

You, have a shopping opportunity!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just repaired this 19 inch pot with PC-7. Once it cures, it's nearly indestructible. Stronger than the ceramic by far. But it also has just the slightest amount of give to it to expand and contract with the rest of the pot. I posted a thread about it. I also really like the river idea.

IMG_20201208_125236.jpg

Top Bottom