Help with changing soil carmona bonsai please?

Peelyj

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing the soil, can anyone help me, it grows indoors under light and also at the window when the sun is out. I'm ok to change the soil now? Should I leave the old soil close to the roots and just work around it? Which soil should I get? Thanks in advance
:)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you post a picture of the plant so we can see the size, type of pot, soil and condition, you are much more likely to get advice. (at least proper advice)

Peelyj

Seedling
Reaction score
If you post a picture of the plant so we can see the size, type of pot, soil and condition, you are much more likely to get advice. (at least proper advice)

Hi, of course :)

Peelyj

Seedling
Reaction score
UK, its kept indoors by window when the sun is out and under light when it's not sunny

Peelyj

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry it took ages to upload the photo

Attachments

• 20220729_105657.jpg
    20220729_105657.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 26

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Summer is usually the best time to repot tropicals. That said, if you are keeping it indoors and can supplement window lighting with artificial lighting, it doesn't really matter when you repot.

That is a very healthy looking tree!

Peelyj

Seedling
Reaction score
Summer is usually the best time to repot tropicals. That said, if you are keeping it indoors and can supplement window lighting with artificial lighting, it doesn't really matter when you repot.

That is a very healthy looking tree!
Thanks, that's good to hear! I get dry yellow leaves that fall off really easy which I worry about but it seems fine otherwise :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, that's good to hear! I get dry yellow leaves that fall off really easy which I worry about but it seems fine otherwise :)
As long as those are interior leaves, it is probably nothing to worry about. Carmona sheds its interior growth all year long if it is actively growing. The leaves turn yellow and will fall off if you barely touch them. If you keep it outdoors in Zone 9B or 10A it will have a dormant period during the winter, but indoors, it is probably all growth, all the time! The big challenge is that people usually don't give them enough light, but that is clearly not your problem!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees will drop interior foliage as outer foliage shades it out. Thinning some of the outer growth can help.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Carmona sheds its interior growth all year long if it is actively growing. The leaves turn yellow and will fall off if you barely touch them
This is a very accurate description. Mine almost always have a few leaves yellow and drop. It is a constant occurrence, but it also is constantly putting for leaves and branches. Pruning a bit here and there is also pretty constant.
Your plant does look very healthy and I don't want to preach to the choir, but make sure your new potting mix drains very well. A soil like Bonsai Jack's bonsai soil would be good.

Top Bottom