Help with Chinese Juniper Air Layer

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A neighbor has a giant Chinese Juniper (I believe) that she wants me to layer. The tree is about 20 feet tall and there are monster branches with movement and the works. Before I start chopping this guy up, I wanted to reach out for guidance on how to do this. I will need a ladder. When is the best time to do this and how long should the layer stay on 3 inch branches?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Best time to layer is when you have a suitable tree, some time and all the things required.
Second best time is spring when you have a full growing season ahead to get roots.

There's no rhyme or reason to how long it takes a layer to root. So many factors affect it - species, timing, technique, health and vigour of the tree, location, etc. Just check every month or so to see if you can see roots growing. Clear cover on the layers makes that easier but you can also gently open up and check without damaging the process. Alternatively, where checking is not easy, leave it until mid to late summer before making the first check.
3" branch is likely to take longer than smaller wood. It may even take a year or more.

Remember that junipers don't always bud on bare wood so I hope the chosen branches have some green nearby to chop back to. Thicker is not always better for bonsai.
My experience has been that branches in a tree look really great. Up closer while you are layering the potential appears less. After it has been cut off and potted you'll wonder why you even bothered. The vast majority of layers I've seen actually have poor bonsai potential so be very choosy when selecting layers.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This isn't a great picture, but should give a feel for what's been offered. This tree is at least 20 feet tall and pretty wide. Not exactly sure how I will get up there yet, but there is a large branch on the right that has plenty of movement and foliage.

Attachments

• Ch Juniper.jpg
    Ch Juniper.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 42

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There could be good material up there but its not possible to assess from here.
What to layer is entirely up to you but as already mentioned branches look much better from a distance, not quite so good up close then completely unsuitable when it gets into a pot.
There is occasionally good material from layers but that's much rarer than many posts here would indicate IMHO. Big is not always better.
Have fun with the layer. Just be careful you don't hurt yourself in the process.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I may be cutting off more than I can chew. Don’t want to kill the tree or hurt myself, so I’ll go for things closer to the ground.

wbt

Seed
Reaction score
I just signed up, so please teach me the ropes. I don't know how to start a separate "thread." Six decades ago I was taught to make incisions parallel to the branch or to peel off with a vegetable peeler at three points around the circumference. Is this wrong? Which method is best (data?)? Would cutting off the cambium down to the heartwood be riskier than the wire method? Has anyone used Vermiculite(R)? I've used the industrial grade (very coarse); I find the horticultural grade stays too wet. I like to root-wash before re-potting to see if all of the roots are okay and to be able to prune more effectively and change to soil with a cryptogamic soil crust.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Six decades ago I was taught to make incisions parallel to the branch or to peel off with a vegetable peeler at three points around the circumference. .
They must have made serious vegetable peelers back then, I have trouble with a tough carrot :)

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I just signed up, so please teach me the ropes. I don't know how to start a separate "thread." Six decades ago I was taught to make incisions parallel to the branch or to peel off with a vegetable peeler at three points around the circumference. Is this wrong? Which method is best (data?)? Would cutting off the cambium down to the heartwood be riskier than the wire method? Has anyone used Vermiculite(R)? I've used the industrial grade (very coarse); I find the horticultural grade stays too wet. I like to root-wash before re-potting to see if all of the roots are okay and to be able to prune more effectively and change to soil with a cryptogamic soil crust.
Maybe helpful… there is a search function in the right upper corner of your screen (looks like magnifying glass). Type in ‘air layer’ in there… I’m sure a lot of reading will come up.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If it's that big, it's probably a Hollywood (Kaizuka) Juniper. I've heard mixed about them for bonsai. I've also heard they can be harder to root, so I would go for the 'choke wire' method to encourage roots rather than slicing off all the cambium down to the heart wood, especially on large branches. I suspect they'll die before they have time to root. I might take a while to get results, but I've very little experience with air layering, so I'm not the best source for advice. You could try different approaches on different branches.

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would for sure add a wire to girdle the branch. Consider removing a lot of foliage when separating. The best way to learn is to do this again and again. After a while you get a hang of how and when. It would be nice to have a true hierarchy of trees that respond well to air layering. I air layered a cotoneaster. When I unwrapped it I had just as much roots on the branch/trunk that was not girdled as where I cut off the bark. I saw the same on an air layered Persian Ironwood ‘Parrotia persica’.

I have had garden junipers not root at all from air layers. Try it. If no roots you can just leave the branch and the bark will eventually heal over.

Top Bottom