Help with chopping up this big olive branch!

Scoobs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello! First time poster and pretty much a beginner although I do have a green thumb and am not unfamiliar with caring for plants.

I was gifted this big olive branch which I want to root and turn into a few smaller bonsai (2 or 3 from the fat part) but I am unsure how should I cut it up for best effect and would appreciate some help!

This is the whole branch, roughly 5.5 feet long (pen for scale).
IMG_9119.jpg

The lower thicker section I am mostly interested in
02.jpg

Lower section other side
01.jpg

Where I was thinking to make cuts
A) (3 bonsai)
02a.jpg

Or this
B) (2 bonsai)
02b.jpg

C)1 big bonsai + 1 small bonsai
02c.jpg

What do you all think? Do any of these options look good? Would you move the cut lines?
I have no real style in mind, still very much a noobie and I need to learn more about that so if you have any thought on that I'd love to hear them as well!

OR would it be a better idea to just root the whole branch first to see where new growth emerges before deciding how to chop it up?
Please help I really don't want to mess up this beautiful branch!

Attachments

• IMG_9123.jpg
    IMG_9123.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9122.jpg
    IMG_9122.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 3

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd jam the whole thing in the ground so the large base will hold it up.

Then wait.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Scoobs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I'd jam the whole thing in the ground so the large base will hold it up.

Then wait.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
I thought about that, but then I'd loose the impact the thicker branch would have on a shorter bonsai would I not?
Perhaps just going with my third option doing one large bonsai from the bottom half of the branch would be a good compromise?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hold up, this thing will root from a branch that thick??? Is this an early April fool's or do I just not know olives?

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hold up, this thing will root from a branch that thick??? Is this an early April fool's or do I just not know olives?
Yes, you can chainsaw cut a wild olive and just plant that and it will grow, which is a common technique for getting a flat root base.

However, this branch doesn't look very alive to me, so I'm not convinced it will work here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes, you can chainsaw cut a wild olive and just plant that and it will grow, which is a common technique for getting a flat root base.

However, this branch doesn't look very alive to me, so I'm not convinced it will work here.
Cheers, I knew that for willow and dogwood but had no idea about olive - every day is a school day.

I'm a poor man's olive (privet) type of guy anyway.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cheers, I knew that for willow and dogwood but had no idea about olive - every day is a school day.

I'm a poor man's olive (privet) type of guy anyway.
Cheers I knew that for willow and olive but had no idea about dogwood. The one in my backyard is now in danger.

Scoobs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

I did remove a lot of smaller branches and they all had green leaves on them, would that mean it's alive?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I think once it sprouts, the sprouts will guide you to your future cuts.

You shouldn't lose any options, where cutting it up now may lose you options.

Sorce

Scoobs

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You need to put it in a greenhouse with a lot of humidity and warmth, another common practice is using just a plastic bag

No greenhouse but I am using a large trash bag to cover the whole branch and the pot it's in.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it's gonna take a while though, i've had a rooted stump in the ground for 2 months now, still green under the bark but no leaves yet

Top Bottom