Help with collected Ponderosa!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey everyone! About a month and a half ago, I went up in the mountains and collected a Ponderosa pine. It was my first collection ever. I had it in my garage for about three weeks, misting it several times a day and watering it whenever the soil was dry to the touch about an inch deep. I took it outside and it now sits in dappled shade. Still using the same misting/watering schedule. Today, however, I noticed that the needles are losing their vibrant green and looking decidedly pale. I hate the idea of siting back and watching this tree die without doing anything. Any advice as to how to proceed? Anything I can do to help it survive?

Thanks!
3620F751-4DA9-4044-B5BF-8C8B38906A79.jpeg

Reaction score
If it's drying out, chances are there aren't enough roots to support the foliage. (Pines tend to have long running roots and few close in fine roots). If that's the case, and it's a lack of roots, there is not much you can do, im sad to say.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone! About a month and a half ago, I went up in the mountains and collected a Ponderosa pine. It was my first collection ever. I had it in my garage for about three weeks, misting it several times a day and watering it whenever the soil was dry to the touch about an inch deep. I took it outside and it now sits in dappled shade. Still using the same misting/watering schedule. Today, however, I noticed that the needles are losing their vibrant green and looking decidedly pale. I hate the idea of siting back and watching this tree die without doing anything. Any advice as to how to proceed? Anything I can do to help it survive?

Thanks!
View attachment 192461
It appears that it is in pure pumice. If that is the case then water thoroughly every day. There is little risk that you will be overwatering as long as their are good size holes in the bottom of the grow box. Pumice drains very well.
The buds on the branch tips appear to have dried out, so it will be a wait and see game at this point.
For future reference keep track of the bud condition on collection and the amount of roots retained. I prefer to collect conifers in a dormant stage prior to bud opening and retain as much roots as possible, even if i have to coil them up in the grow box to begin with. If you have any questions on the collection process feel free to post them. Just be prepared for more than one answer;)

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you guys! I will water daily, then. I built the boxes to drain really well, so it shouldnt be a problem. It might be a root issue, given it was my first collection. I will water and cross my fingers, I guess!
I see what you are saying about tje buds having dried out, @Riversedgebonsai. Does that mean I should not expect any new growth this year? My lodgepole pines, collecyed about the same time, have healthy, albeit still closed, buds.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you guys! I will water daily, then. I built the boxes to drain really well, so it shouldnt be a problem. It might be a root issue, given it was my first collection. I will water and cross my fingers, I guess!
I see what you are saying about tje buds having dried out, @Riversedgebonsai. Does that mean I should not expect any new growth this year? My lodgepole pines, collecyed about the same time, have healthy, albeit still closed, buds.
Making predictions based on limited information is not very valid. The bud situation will vary depending on elevation collected and the tree's individual conditions at the time. And this is not including differences in roots, foliage etc. There are too many variables to guess at how the tree will respond, it could sulk for a short period and push new growth, it could wait another season, or it may not make it.
You will have to wait it out.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also would suggest more sun as long as not very hot. As long as survives till mid summer this is time Ryan Neil tells to pour on fertilizing until Fall to make more budding for next year. Have seen to work on personal Yamadori Ponderosa trees;).

Last edited:

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you all for your replies. There might be hope for this tree still. I was misting it today, and noticed that it is backbudding, even in older wood. So I will keep my fingers crossed!20180518_135215.jpg20180518_135215.jpg20180518_135135.jpg20180518_135125.jpg20180518_135120.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I see some scale insects on there. Watch out for those guys, they prey on weak plants. Hope this one pulls through !

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I see some scale insects on there. Watch out for those guys, they prey on weak plants. Hope this one pulls through !
Could you point out where do you see them, so I can take care of them? Thanks!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In post #8, third picture down, top right quadrant is the clearest picture of one that I can see on my phone. Its a brown circle and if you look closely in real life it will be dome shaped. You can carefully poke it with a needle and scrape it off. That method might be daunting if there are lots of them but you can do some more research to see if there is another way to get rid of them that works for you. If it doesn't have that dome shape but is just a discolored spot on the needle, it is not scale. Again, I'm on my phone so the picture is kind of small

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! I just checked, and I think it was just a spot on the needle

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After a whole summer of watering and lightly fertilizing, I was removing yellowing needles today, when I noticed not just fat terminal buds on most shoots, but also backbudding on many branches! I think this guy might make it after all!ED2D406A-2FAD-41FC-B270-2A97A4436809.jpegED510892-6814-4053-A371-E37E56E54040.jpeg40171F20-E294-4B78-BDA6-1E3B91477748.jpeg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
20200504_141705.jpgSo this guy has survived sonfar. I have been taking it slow, just sun, water, and fertilizer for the last 2 years. This year is finally budding lile crazy. Next year, I might give it an initial styling if it grows well this season. Again, I am not in a hurry.20200504_133323.jpg

Top Bottom