Help with cuttings on Japanese Flowering Quince

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recently purchased what I believe is a standard Japanese Flowering Quince as well as a Toyo Nishiki variety. I would like to prune both of these to get the trees working towards looking like actual trees. I have a few questions. First is timing. I'm in 9a (Pensacola) and both plants are currently pushing out flowers. When is the right time? Also, I want to take as many cuttings as I can. What media have people had success using? Last, I'd love any input from a design standpoint. It's always great getting different perspectives. The one tree may be too difficult to tell what's going on from a design standpoint. Branches everywhere! Thanks! 20160130_124450.jpg 20160130_124528.jpg

Saizan

Yamadori
Reaction score
I cannot help you about the timming, but you can gent one hundred of cuttings from this specimens :D

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It might be a bit late there for hardwood cuttings but if you're going to prune any way, cut them into about 6 inch pieces with a bud above and below the bottom and top cuts and insert them for 3/4 of their length in your medium (or the ground). If you plan on repotting, root cuttings are almost fool proof. Cut the roots into 4 inch lengths and lay them horizontally under about 1 inch of potting mix.
You can do both of these now. In summer, you can take semi-hardwood cuttings and place under mist or under glass and they will strike well. Hormones will help in all cases but not essential.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cadillactaste, there are buds everywhere but also old dried up fruit still attached. I popped those off after I took the picture.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Root cuttings. I had no idea. I will definitely try that out. Thank you MichaelS.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
All good advice given so far I think.. As far as a medium for cuttings, I prefer perlite- as Saizan said, these are super easy to root!

Root Cuttings are... Too easy. I literally took a large one I was pruning down to put in a smaller pot, sawed the bottom half of the root ball off... I took that chunk of a root bal, and dropped it in my discard pile... It proceeded to pop about 6 new trees off the root ball!

Top Bottom