Help with Ficus and Chinese Elm style

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello there,

I'm new in the forum, I'm amazed with the useful information and knowledgable people in here!

I'm based in UK and started with bonsai 8 years ago with my ficus tiger bark, see some photos below, I would appreciate any advise on the style and growth. I have wrapped the trunk with some paper as I have noted that some aerial roots where growing.

I've recently got a Chinese Elm, it suffered from black spots in the last few months and lost most of the leaves, it appears to be recovering well after using fungicide but still some new leaves are turning black. Again, I would appreciate your feedback on the style.

Both trees are sitting on a south east window cill, I have got a small humidifier next to them to increase a bit of humidity, temperatures now in summer range from 20 to 32 and humidity 40 to 70. I recently keep the window open in front of the Chinese Elm and appears to be helping with the recovery!

20220720_123256.jpg20220720_123334.jpg

20220720_123605 (1).jpg20220720_123639 (1).jpg20220720_123008.jpg20220720_123024.jpg20220720_123034.jpg

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce! Anyone got any idea how to improve the trees?

Cheers!

Scarlet Ibis

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Both of these look like nice trees with loads of potential. So, you have had the ficus for 8 years? I love the movement in the trunk. I have a few ficus and may be able to answer your questions if you have any.
Just guessing but it looks like you keep the plants in a tray of water. If the water is deep enough to reach the soil bottom, aka steeping, you may experience root rot. There are benefits to shower type watering - drench and drain style.
If you don't want aerial roots just clip them off. The high humidity area stimulates the development of aerials and possibly the elm probs.
Again, both are nice trees I would be happy to have in my collection. If you have specific questions I would be glad to discuss with you.
Cheers, Steve
As mentioned above... welcome to crazy.

Top Bottom